Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the middle of painting my Gheenoe. I sanded it all down, primed it and wet sanded the primer with 600. It looks great and will be applying TotalBoat Wet Edge this weekend. Everything I've seen says to thin it 10-15% and go very light.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Building Asphalt

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle

Asphalt Road surface Shade Mode of transport Plant

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Awesome man keep me updated, How did you de wax it ? Also how far did you sand it down ? until all the color came off ? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sanded with 80 with an orbital and worked up to 220 before priming. Just got rid of the old gel coat that was heavily oxidized, it's a fairly thin layer so be careful. Going with Blue-Glo white and will paint the rub rail flat black.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok Update.... I flipped it over yesterday so it was outside all night and now the bottom paint is rock-hard! The sides are still a little tacky... So do I still need to redo the whole thing ? Should I just do the tacky sides ? I have primer now so do i use a primer just on the sides and leave the bottom paint that cured ? I also have a friend that offered to sand blast the paint off ? Is sand blasting ok for fiberglass ? Thanks guys View attachment 193426
I would not sand blast it. The sand will probably start eating away at the fiberglass and make it very rough.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts