Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I don't really post much but I'm in a hard place with paint on my Gheenoe and can't find anyone with knowledge to help...
Basically I sanded down my Gheenoe LT25 with 220 and applied total boat 1 part polyurethane. I went to sand down first coat with 400 grit after three weeks (Because I had to work) to apply final coat and on some random parts of the boat the paint was still wet. Strangely I could touch the surface and it was dry but the second I applied light pressure with the 400 it became a smeared mess.
So far I bought heaters and a dehumidifier to make the garage I'm working in great conditions for it to dry but still same result. I'm now planning on taking the boat out side and removing all the old/wet paint (Sanding ? Paint stripper solvent) and starting again...
My thoughts...
I may have not removed the wax on the boat with my Initial sanding...?
How do I insure this second time I have it all off ?
I will also use a primer this time even though total boat website says I didn't need one.
Any advice appreciated.
Building Automotive design Lighting Flooring Floor

Lighting Flooring Floor Wood Multimedia projector

Automotive design Building Floor Flooring Airplane

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im assuming you applied it to thick too quickly. I've used their topside paint and didnt like it for that reason. You have to apply in very very light coats and let each coat dry for atleast a day or two in between coats. It pretty much encapsulates the wet paint on the boat if applied to thick. The part that is going to suck next is removing it and gumming up everything

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys I don't really post much but I'm in a hard place with paint on my Gheenoe and can't find anyone with knowledge to help...
Basically I sanded down my Gheenoe LT25 with 220 and applied total boat 1 part polyurethane. I went to sand down first coat with 400 grit after three weeks (Because I had to work) to apply final coat and on some random parts of the boat the paint was still wet. Strangely I could touch the surface and it was dry but the second I applied light pressure with the 400 it became a smeared mess.
So far I bought heaters and a dehumidifier to make the garage I'm working in great conditions for it to dry but still same result. I'm now planning on taking the boat out side and removing all the old/wet paint (Sanding ? Paint stripper solvent) and starting again...
My thoughts...
I may have not removed the wax on the boat with my Initial sanding...?
How do I insure this second time I have it all off ?
I will also use a primer this time even though total boat website says I didn't need one.
Any advice appreciated. View attachment 193258
View attachment 193257
View attachment 193259
When painting, did you roll it on or spray it on the boat?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rolled it on, Thinking of buying a sprayer this next time around...
If Rolling it, roll it out as even and thin as you can, you can always add additional coats at a later time, you have to be patient.
Spraying it does involve more prep and steps, but the finish will come out a lot more even. But, when spraying you have to be very cautious of humidity and condensation from your air compressor.
I would only attempt spraying a boat if you have an air dryer connected to your air compressor along with an additional inline desiccant filter before the paint gun to prevent any fish eyes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Rolling it, roll it out as even and thin as you can, you can always add additional coats at a later time, you have to be patient.
Spraying it does involve more prep and steps, but the finish will come out a lot more even. But, when spraying you have to be very cautious of humidity and condensation from your air compressor.
I would only attempt spraying a boat if you have an air dryer connected to your air compressor along with an additional inline desiccant filter before the paint gun to prevent any fish

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Rolling can yield good results. I'd look for something that can be thinned per the manufacturers instructions and roll on 3-4 very thin coats allowing time between coats per the instructions

Reactions: JC Designs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rolling can yield good results. I'd look for something that can be thinned per the manufacturers instructions and roll on 3-4 very thin coats allowing time between coats per the instructions
Got it will do, I really appreciate the advice. How should I remove the current paint ? Then sand ? How do I know the wax under it is all off ? Like what order should I do it in ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’m not a paint expert by any means. But I read Totalboat’s recommendations on their website:
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Document

I agree with Dobre.
I feel the outside skinned over, now the rest won’t cure.

I’d give them a call, see what they recommend
Man I’m sorry this happened, it looks really good

·
I Love microskiff.com!
128 Posts
Out of curiosity what is the average temperature of your garage? It may be outside the application range. I also see on their website they are very particular about using very thin coats. I painted a Gheenoe once using Interlux brightsides and it took 4 thin coats but looked brilliant. It was hard to be patient and not put it on thick though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of curiosity what is the average temperature of your garage? It may be outside the application range. I also see on their website they are very particular about using very thin coats. I painted a Gheenoe once using Interlux brightsides and it took 4 thin coats but looked brilliant. It was hard to be patient and not put it on thick though.
Garage was about 60 to 70 I live in San Antonio humidity was around 50 i even waited for a good day to apply it. I'm pretty sure i laid it on way to thick. The question is what to do now...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Garage was about 60 to 70 I live in San Antonio humidity was around 50 i even waited for a good day to apply it. I'm pretty sure i laid it on way to thick. The question is what to do now...
So I'm also in TX (north Houston).
My first gheenoe I painted was with total boat and had a similar issue. But what happened was I started sanding before it completely dried. Now that I think about it maybe it was never going to dry if I put it on to thick. I think what I did was scrap as much as I could off then sand it back down. It will gum up you sanding disc so buy alot.
Not an issue with the wax coat on the gel coat. I like the rustoleum topside paint honestly. I just rolled it on a gheeno last week and it came out pretty good. I think it dries a bit quicker than total boat too. When I sprayed my current personal gheenoe. I did one light coat of total boat once a day. And i was still worried it wasn't dry enough. I'd also consider gator glide on the bottom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well as an update... I know I have to repaint so I'm going to remove the outboard and get ready to flip her onto some saw horses in the back yard...
Wheel Tire Lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the paint only cured on top, I wonder if you could use a plastic scraper to take most of it off?

If it’s still wet underneath, maybe that would save some time?

One thought. You may want to strip the sides with boat on trailer.
When I flipped my LT25, it’s tough to sand the sides upside down.

Hard because the LT25 is wider at the water line than the rub rail. So flipped, it tapers in towards the ground:
Automotive exterior Hood Wood Tarpaulin Asphalt

Hard to tell from the pic, But it makes it a little tough to sand the sides,

Not sure if this makes sense, sorry for bad description

·
I Love microskiff.com!
128 Posts
It looks like they make a paint stripper. I see on the video embeded on their webpage it also work on gelcoat though so I suspect you will want to work fast and in small sections so you only pull the bad topside coat. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Update.... I flipped it over yesterday so it was outside all night and now the bottom paint is rock-hard! The sides are still a little tacky... So do I still need to redo the whole thing ? Should I just do the tacky sides ? I have primer now so do i use a primer just on the sides and leave the bottom paint that cured ? I also have a friend that offered to sand blast the paint off ? Is sand blasting ok for fiberglass ? Thanks guys
Sky Plant Plant community Natural environment Table

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It is sunny here in TX today. I'd put that sucker out in the sun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was it hard to flip over? Even though they’re pretty light (for a boat), still no easy task!

I would not sandblast. Way too easy to cause damage & thin the glass imo.

Only guessing. But I bet the paint was thinner on bottom,than the sides.
Tougher to get super thick painting upside down.

Maybe call TotalBoat, see what they think.
Might dry with extra time. Sun will help too

1 - 20 of 28 Posts