Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys looking for little help and advice. Looking very hard at a custom gheenoe lt25 for sale. 1 year old boat awesome shape. Tohatsu 25 with tilt trim. Center console with deep cycle battery underneath. Fuel tank in stearn. Boat has low front deck. Kinda with it had raised deck for more storage but oh well. Question and issue is that with myself and another adult which probably adds up to 325 lbs sitting in bench behind console the boats wants to porpoise pretty bad. Trimmed all the way down. Put the other adult towards the bow and no problem. I know balance is key in these boats so does this sound normal? Would other small skiffs like shadowcast, glide etc do this ad well? No trim tabs on boat btw. Thx!

·
Banned
906 Posts
Guys looking for little help and advice. Looking very hard at a custom gheenoe lt25 for sale. 1 year old boat awesome shape. Tohatsu 25 with tilt trim. Center console with deep cycle battery underneath. Fuel tank in stearn. Boat has low front deck. Kinda with it had raised deck for more storage but oh well. Question and issue is that with myself and another adult which probably adds up to 325 lbs sitting in bench behind console the boats wants to porpoise pretty bad. Trimmed all the way down. Put the other adult towards the bow and no problem. I know balance is key in these boats so does this sound normal? Would other small skiffs like shadowcast, glide etc do this ad well? No trim tabs on boat btw. Thx!
You also have a 157 pound motor. It's a balance issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got the same boat with a 20HP. With me (270) and my daughter (140), really dont have an issue other than it just doesn't really get on plane. No porpoising though. When she rides on the console seat, its money.

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
Any boat that weighs that little will have its own set of issues when there is no counter balance.

You could try to put a wedge behind the motor bracket so you would get a couple more degrees of tuck when trimmed down. Try putting a few washers over the bolts as a trial. If it works, buy a real wedge.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That’s just the reality of small, light boats. Sometimes people have a bunch of weight in the rear (heavy motor, 50 lb battery vs. a 15 lb battery, fuel tank etc. ) plus having a passenger to far aft and they wonder why they can’t jump up in a puddle or rip around without porpoising. A 20 or 25 hp can only do so much on a really light boat that’s weighed down in the rear. Move weight around with people and accessories and you’ll see much improvement. I’ve done that with all my small skiffs and it works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok great. Yep it does have wedge on it from custom gheenoe. With just me I didn't notice anything. But with 2 of us behind console is when it porpoised some. Really needs that deep cycle in the bow under a front deck imo and it would be perfect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the same set up with a 20 tohatsu. Only ridden a few times with two on the bench but still got on a plane easily. I do usually have a 65qt cooler in the bow, my battery is in the console with my gear, but everything else is pretty similar. Get some weight up front

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
Ok great. Yep it does have wedge on it from custom gheenoe. With just me I didn't notice anything. But with 2 of us behind console is when it porpoised some. Really needs that deep cycle in the bow under a front deck imo and it would be perfect.
Easier to move the passenger forward. Only takes seconds and they can move around until you find that sweet spot.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
I had a 50hp Yamaha on mine and it porpoised like crazy solo. The hulls built in hook fights the bow lift when trimmed up. It drove me nuts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts