Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a gheenoe LT10. I mainly fish mosquito lagoon and will run the Saint Johns River and places similar. What are the pros and cons? Are boat wakes and chop that big of a concern? Also what are some must haves that you owners would recommend. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think it depends on what you are comparing it to. Cons are they are very small, will be wet, tippy, hard to pole in any wind. Pros are it is a way to get on the water, fairly inexpensive, can get shallow.

Think much better than paddling a kayak, not as good as a real skiff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My budget is about 3k so I can’t compare it to much I have a 15hp Suzuki and a 16ft trailer. I really just wanted to know if I buy one am I going to regret it. I fish a lot and like to get real skinny. But don’t want anything that is gonna be crazy unsafe running by larger boats or chop in a wind shift.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The wake from other boats will not be fun and can be dangerous at times. Weekend boaters on st johns river is nuts. You will have some big wakes to deal with, especially those wake board boats. You will have to position the boat to make it save every time, not relaxing. However, other areas with less traffic you will be fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wake from other boats will not be fun and can be dangerous at times. Weekend boaters on st johns river is nuts. You will have some big wakes to deal with, especially those wake board boats. You will have to position the boat to make it save every time, not relaxing. However, other areas with less traffic you will be fine. Good luck.
Thoughts on bass fishing bigger lakes out of one?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Find someone that has a gheenoe and take it for a drive.

I have an LT-10.
9.9 2 stroke tohatsu

It is a wet ride on a choppy day.
Once I get to a creek and get to fishing it does good if you run a trolling motor.
No fun to pole the boat in the wind.
I don't consider it a very good two person boat. LT-10
I like mine because it has let me fish some places I would never have fished.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to fish a friends LT10 and will say the build quality was really impressive - like a boat masquerading as a canoe! You can get to some seriously remote places but it was also super sketchy in areas used by larger boats. I would never go out in one without an inflatable PFD and I'd keep my head on a swivel if I could hear another engine. Honestly, if I thought a Gheenoe was the solution to my problem, I'd probably buy a solo skiff or some other board-type fishing platform. That said, I fish saltwater where tides, wind and larger boats are a constant factor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was looking at buying a gheenoe months ago but spent a couple extra bucks instead and got a custom made 14ft true microskiff. The additional couple inches of beam are a must especially if you want to fish with more than one person. If you want a gheenoe that has some more versatility ive heard good things about the LT25. If you already have a 15hp suzuki you should be able to change out some parts (im not sure exactly which parts) in order to make it a 20hp. Buy a 14 or 15ft fiberglass hull off of FB marketplace and you will enjoy it more and be able to use it more often...

·
Registered
Heron w/50 hatsu
368 Posts
A Lt10 will get eaten alive on lake George most days.
They really aren't for the open water where big boats will be going by.
If planning on solo fishing a bunch in semi protected waters, it is a great choice. I'm also not a big fan of fishing 2 in it. But that's what the heron is for.
I have one in Flagler Beach that I fish often in the creeks. Your welcome to pm me and come check it out.

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
65 Posts
I have a 2006 NMZ Gheenoe and here are some thoughts:

it might tippy BUT it also depends on you. I am a big dude and it may wobble but I have yet to feel like I am going to fall out if it. The stability surprised me, especially center line. I can fish up on the front deck, no issues.

in less wind I can quietly move around using a SUP paddle.

I am hyper cautious when it domes to waves as I am just learning the boat. So far my take away is if you have a boat wake coming slow the heck down and use common sense. I would not take this boat in the Chesapeake on a good day, that is what my bay boat is for. I am just fine in the smaller bodies of water I snakehead fish off of the Potomac.

Reactions: Rowdy

·
Registered
2019 Gheenoe LT10
180 Posts
So I can speak first hand on the LT10, I've owned mine for a bit over a year and a half.

Now, keep in mind, I am a smaller (150lbs), fit and younger guy (25), so my balance is pretty good. In all of my time fishing out of it, even in some rockier situations, I've yet to ever feel like I was close to being thrown out, and that goes for anyone who's been on it with me. For me at least, stability is actually quite good for it's size, but as others have mentioned, stay to the center line, and you shouldn't have any troubles. Came from a 13ft Gheenoe before, and the stability is miles above that.

For it's size, it can handle rougher water better than you'd expect, but I'm still one to pick my days carefully as I don't want to ruin a day of fishing stressing about if I can make it to some of my spots or not. Though, avoid the rougher days, you'll get very wet. I've ran mine in some pretty sporty conditions and got quite wet, but never took on enough water to necessitate turning on the bilge. And that's even crossing Biscayne Bay in about a foot to two feet of chop going bow into a 20kt wind. All about putting the bow into the right place of the chop and managing throttle during that. I don't deal with boat wake often wear I live and fish, but when you do encounter larger wakes, like I just mentioned, it's about learning how to properly manage your own throttle and bow placement to not take on a bunch of water.

As stated above, it doesn't pole very well in a stiff wind, but get up in a creek or fish a shoreline with coverage for the wind, and it tracks surprisingly well, though a definite learning curve exists compared to a full size skiff. And unlike what others above have said, I think it works just fine as a two person boat, though as I mentioned, I'm a smaller guy and my buddies are also not big guys either, so, take that as you will.

Now, as for what to get on one if you get one, I could not have mine without a raised rear deck. I have the front raised deck as well with one hatch, but doesn't feel as necessary. Adds extra storage and visibility when casting, especially with my Yeti up front, but if you throw a fly rod, line management is tough without spikes or a bucket, as line just wants to go over the edge of the boat with how close the top of the front deck is to the rub rail. If I did it again, I'd maybe go with the no front deck just for that alone. Their low front deck is nice still, and put a Yeti up front, and you're in business. I have the nose cap for a "transom" mount trolling motor, but I only ever bring my trolling motor out maybe 5% of the time. I have the forward and aft coffin box, and I think it's fantastic to have, great extra storage and good spot for a passenger to sit when running. Grab bar is a MUST for me. Having something to grab onto to stand and run, especially when running shallow spots is invaluable.

Ok, I'm done rambling. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me or write to me in this thread.

-Samuel

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a G-noe Classic Is Is night and day better than an Lt-10 . That being said I also have A Mod-V Alumicraft and It is Light Years ahead of ANY G-noe ! It is built with RUGGED welded construction ! The G-noe is very thin chopper gun construction and is very easily damaged , (but is easily repaired) . The Classic does handle better in tight spaces but the Mod-V drafts much shallower . I only have 5" of freeboard with the Classic . The Mod-V has 11 And is Roomier Hauls more and a much drier ride .

Reactions: Rowdy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all so much! You guys have given me a lot to think about… Which is what I was hoping for from this post. Will keep you all posted still not 100% positive what I am going to do yet.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
34 Posts
Spent a lot of time a 13’ and a 15’4 nmz. Some of my best memories were on small crafts like a gheenoe. Fishing for tailing reds on negative lows, pushing the boat over sandbars to get to creeks, going through mangrove tunnels.

If your are like @sjestok ( 25 and 150lbs) and love to fish super skinny water, they are hard to beat. Just don’t try to make them something they aren’t.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had my 2017 LT10 for 1 year now and run all over East and West Bay in Panama City in it. It does what it was designed to do real well. It's never going to do what a real skiff will do but for now it gets me and sometimes one buddy out there sight fishing just like the big boys. It's a cool boat and I always have somebody either going or coming that ask me about it. Lot's of folks started out in these for same reasons I did.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My buddy ran his LT10 solo 100+ Miles for a few chickee nights out of Flamingo and Choko several times. It’ll do whatever you want it to if you’ve got the balls. Buy the boat. It’ll sell if you don’t like it. Sit on a cooler with a tiller extension for better performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts