Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1AE3F6D1-E8D8-476F-B9A4-E3F0A5FC315A.jpeg 130F4BDE-19CD-4309-B8BF-ED3ECBEDB7C1.jpeg B0D12810-52C8-467B-8AAD-D3CD81BEB0A7.jpeg 0CD5A37A-8440-4C3A-92CF-6426EB6C3206.jpeg 5EE2403F-F759-4100-9C1C-1F146CA7F157.jpeg EF798BBC-A672-4BB2-9957-1C378CFABB38.jpeg 3CADC537-1B29-4BAB-AA79-963244BD58A8.jpeg
Hello All,

New to the forums and have done a lot of lurking here regarding fiberglass repair. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do, how bad do you guys think this is? A few spots here and there. Got this in a trade, took it out on the water and no leaks. Inside is in great shape, the worst is on the under nose and along the keel/drain area. Maybe from it being drug?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Most of the spots don't look too bad. Fill with marine tex and sand smooth. In the first picture the gel coat is cracked as if there was an impact or two. Those might need a little more attention .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it. Is there anything I can do to beef up the keel for the future? I’ll definitely need to re glass the damage in the first pic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B1D1632E-F4ED-4CFE-9A10-9D6035D77080.jpeg There’s also a through hole for a live well that I wanted to plug. Can I get away with a plug or should I sand area down and glass over? You can see in the pic bottom left

·
Registered
616 Posts
After following the above advice and patching it up... I'd try using a simple rubber plug, inside, for the live well hole/plumbing.

A lot depends on how you want it to look after patching.. functional or perfect.

After the repair you can use "Gator Guard KeelShield"... read carefully the web site info as they have 2 products one for fiberglass and one for rotomolded (kayaks) boats, to beef up the area. There was a discussion a while back on the site for this subject.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll have to look into the gator guard, thank you all for the quick responses. I wonder what kind of plug I can find for that? Also do you think the damage in the first pic can have marine Tex right over it or should I cut all that out complete and reglass with fabric and resin?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Push on it.How weak does it feel. It could be reinforced (repaired) from the inside or the outside. If you feel the damage hasn't compromised anything, just patch the gel coat .

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used herculiner to make a keel guard. So far so good. I had to do the work while on a creeper under the boat, if you can flip yours it may be easier. Once cured it's waterproof and seals up any voids you may have. Good thing is if you need to repair or add to it all you have to do is clean and reapply to the existing material.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
F8AC49E6-BBD3-4D16-9937-BC92C35F7BEA.jpeg When I got home I beat on it pretty good and it’s solid. I even sanded it down a little , looks like I should be able to just marine Tex right over it. I looked underneath on the inside and it’s solid as well

·
Brandon, FL
10,090 Posts
Right in the middle there is a chunk that should be chipped off and then go for it.

Forget the peel and stick keel guard. Either do nothing and repair when necessary, add extra glass, or roll on one of the bed liner products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I’m gonna go ahead and repair with marine Tex and maybe beef up the keel with extra glass. Will the herculiner affect the speed as in adding more resistance when out on the water? I’ve also heard of glassing a Kevlar patch across the keel. My next concern is inside the aft drain hole. It looks pretty nast, can I marine tex to fill al that in?

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I haven’t noticed any speed or resistance issues but my boat is 18’6 with a 90.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts