Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

new to forum but found everyone’s posts to be a great resource and thanks for that.

I recently bought a 2005 15’4” Gheenoe highsider and put a Mercury 9.9 4 stroke on it to hunt and fish in coastal AL rivers. My hopes are to use the gheenoe to access deep flooded areas of the Mobile-Tensaw Delta that bigger boats can’t go to hunt ducks, hogs, etc. I don’t plan to spend much time in the larger main rivers, only use them to move to smaller creeks and swamps.

the amount of freeboard that I have once loaded (lightly) with motor, 3 gal gas, and my son is kind of concerning me.

it appears that there is about 4-5” of freeboard (distance from waterline to gunwale).

is this what others experience?

I only weigh 280 (haha) and my son is about 180.

are we going to get swamped and sink? I called Sam and he said the 2 benches are foam filled. But when I tap on them they sound hollow? Even if they are filled it still means a bad day if water gets in the boat.

i intend to add a bilge pump, trolling motor, and necessary group 27 battery....which adds more weight but does help place balance/weight forward.

i may add a grab bar and tiller extension once I feel more comfortable with running it. As of now I’m “puckered up” a little 😆

hopefully that would help lighten the rear end.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, there is relatively low freeboard on the 15' 4" high siders, you really have to pick your days and keep your head on a swivel for other boat wakes to keep from swamping the boat. Don't be ashamed to run it aground and wait out wake or wind chop. Get a 800 GPH + auto bilge and try to keep as much weight up front as possible. I ended up with my LT15 and LT25 to help get away from that "puckered up" feeling... but I don't think it ever goes away on a Gheenoe.

Silver lining is at least you didn't get a 13' low sider with even less free board.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What Fishwhistle said! I also had a 15-4 and now have an LT25 , the HS was a little dicey even in moderate 'inland' waters. I flipped it once and that did it for me (on a lake, caught a following set of wakes)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input y’all.

It’s seems like even Gheenoe owners get cases on “one-foot-itis”and go bigger.

Since this was intentionally going small to be able to reach backwaters and paddle flooded swamps others can’t get to....I’ll probably learn to embrace the “pucker”.

A bilge pump is definitely in order but a bucket might be a useful addition since they really can’t empty fast enough to keep boats afloat...maybe the bucket would help get water out in volume. If that is even feasible.

I have no idea what Mr. Gheen was thinking with that “low sider”? Any lower and it’s a paddle board 😁.

Flipping it is a whole other level of pucker. Don‘t even want think about that!

I’m going to run it some these next few months before next hunting season to learn her traits.

it’s been said many times before...every boat is a compromise!

thanks again

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
My G-noe Classic has 5" of freeboard

My Waaay less expensive to buy Mod V jon has 11"

I have a photo somewhere of a new LT-25 that has the same freeboard as my classic , but that is not normally the case .

if you don't mind your G-noe being a "Dog" on the water you can power it with a a small light weight 2 stroke
and then you can go out in calm waters and be perfectly fine .

the only time you get into trouble is when you over rig them and try to go fast . If you over power them and run in a chop
they tend to self destruct . (I have a library of photos showing this)

but all in all keep a noe light and simple and you WILL get years of service out of it :)

·
Registered
1648 Aluminum Custom Joe Boat, 35 Evinrude
111 Posts
Since this was intentionally going small to be able to reach backwaters and paddle flooded

Flipping it is a whole other level of pucker. Don‘t even want think about that!
Yes, please keep us posted on your duck season and your boat. I hope it works out for you. After years of duck hunting in multiple environments and hundreds of miles in a canoe my thoughts on small boats has changed considerably.

1. Don't buy a pirogue unless the intended use is for 1 man like yourself, maybe a dog, and some decoys to get to a spot and hunt. Alternatively, you use it to retrieve birds and you use a push pole. It is a one man rig. It's best attribute is its light and easy to hide.
2. Canoes (insert gheenoe here). The Indians figured it out and they are much more capable (resources play heavily into both designs). Two large men, a dog, and decoys will work fine if, and only if, the canoe is long enough.

You need shallow, manuverabillity, and weight capacity. You are not Tiny Tim. I'm not either. The only way to decrease draft and increase weight capacity is longer and/ or wider.

Moving through timber you need long and narrow. A long boat will provide a very shallow draft while still allowing you to slip between the trees. I have two canoes, one 12' and one 18'. The 18 wins every day, at every task, except 1. It's slightly harder to hide, but not much. It is a little heavier. So what? I can still load and carry it in top of my pickup, by myself and I'm 61.

There is nothing better than hunting or fishing with you son ( or your father). If you decide to upgrade your boat down the road, think long and narrow. You will be happy. I guarantee it.

I want some duck photos this fall. Please post when you have a chance and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My G-noe Classic has 5" of freeboard

My Waaay less expensive to buy Mod V jon has 11"

I have a photo somewhere of a new LT-25 that has the same freeboard as my classic , but that is not normally the case .

if you don't mind your G-noe being a "Dog" on the water you can power it with a a small light weight 2 stroke
and then you can go out in calm waters and be perfectly fine .

the only time you get into trouble is when you over rig them and try to go fast . If you over power them and run in a chop
they tend to self destruct . (I have a library of photos showing this)

but all in all keep a noe light and simple and you WILL get years of service out of it :)
Well I got a chance to measure the approximate freeboard and it appears that there is about 5” of freeboard. so that’s about what you’ve seen...so maybe not as bad as I was thinking.
in terms of over rigging....my plans are to keep it pretty stock. Just swivel seats, trolling motor, battery, bilge pump, and any gear I bring.
ive seen some guys really go nuts on rigging a Gheenoe. Really cool stuff but some of it gets to be too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, please keep us posted on your duck season and your boat. I hope it works out for you. After years of duck hunting in multiple environments and hundreds of miles in a canoe my thoughts on small boats has changed considerably.

1. Don't buy a pirogue unless the intended use is for 1 man like yourself, maybe a dog, and some decoys to get to a spot and hunt. Alternatively, you use it to retrieve birds and you use a push pole. It is a one man rig. It's best attribute is its light and easy to hide.
2. Canoes (insert gheenoe here). The Indians figured it out and they are much more capable (resources play heavily into both designs). Two large men, a dog, and decoys will work fine if, and only if, the canoe is long enough.

You need shallow, manuverabillity, and weight capacity. You are not Tiny Tim. I'm not either. The only way to decrease draft and increase weight capacity is longer and/ or wider.

Moving through timber you need long and narrow. A long boat will provide a very shallow draft while still allowing you to slip between the trees. I have two canoes, one 12' and one 18'. The 18 wins every day, at every task, except 1. It's slightly harder to hide, but not much. It is a little heavier. So what? I can still load and carry it in top of my pickup, by myself and I'm 61.

There is nothing better than hunting or fishing with you son ( or your father). If you decide to upgrade your boat down the road, think long and narrow. You will be happy. I guarantee it.

I want some duck photos this fall. Please post when you have a chance and good luck!

I’ll let y’all know how the season shapes up. I better get to the skeet range to practice now that I got pressure to put a few ducks down. Lol😆

pirogue‘s look like they would be like walking on a tightrope! I’ve never been in one but they look tippy (heard that too). But they are the ultimate in stealth.

the Indians were pretty good with canoes as you’ve said.

I thought about getting a 13 GHenie for the wider transom. I was thinking that it would probably better at spreading the transom load out.

I decided against the 13 because of a few things: overall capacity rating was low, wider beam wouldn’t paddle and push pole as well as the 15’4”, and the smaller Hp rating means it would (should) be slower. Like you said the long and narrow should work better.

my son is 16 now and we don’t have too much more time before college so we want to make the most of it. As of late he has been losing interest in hunting and fishing as much now that he’s a “workin’ man” (part time lifeguard) and school.
the Gheenoe has him excited so I’m going to capitalize on it!😃

·
Registered
1648 Aluminum Custom Joe Boat, 35 Evinrude
111 Posts
my son is 16 now and we don’t have too much more time before college so we want to make the most of it. As of late he has been losing interest in hunting and fishing as much now that he’s a “workin’ man” (part time lifeguard) and school.
the Gheenoe has him excited so I’m going to capitalize on it!😃
Gas and girls have ruined many young men. :ROFLMAO:
I never let anything interfere with hunting or fishing. I quit football in high school because it screwed up my duck hunting with my dad. F that. No regrets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts