Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Gheennoe redo

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jordan Nason 
#1 ·
Just bought a 15'6'' classic for $150. Inside is pretty good. The outside, besides being ugly ( not my favorite camo pattern) has keel issues. Looks like it's been drug down the road a few too many times. After I peeled off the poorly installed glass tape on the keel, I found that the wood in the keel is exposed. All the way down the bottom. My initial thought was to put it out of the weather and let it dry out for a month or more before reglassing the keel. However, I was wondering if any of the Gheenoe redoers had fixed this hull problem differently. Any one ever removed and replaced the wood in the keel. Thanks.
Plant Tire Wheel Wheelbarrow Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Howard

Unfortunately that is not a 15'6" Classic but it is a 15'4" Hi-Sider Good news it was a real deal at $150

Yes there are threads on here about rebuilding your transom, just put "Gheenoe transom repair" in search bar

As far as i know the only wood should be in the transom and not the entire keel

You may already know this is how it starts......

#3 ·
Hey Howard

Unfortunately that is not a 15'6" Classic but it is a 15'4" Hi-Sider Good news it was a real deal at $150

Yes there are threads on here about rebuilding your transom, just put "Gheenoe transom repair" in search bar

As far as i know the only wood should be in the transom and not the entire keel

You may already know this is how it starts......
thanks Jimmy, my mistake on the model. I will post a pic of the keel.

#5 ·
That is going to be a lot of cutting/scraping/sanding. And since you have to do that and lay all that glass, since you want a 13 (ish) or wider transom, you can make that cut and go for it. It's all fiberglass and creativity, and as we see with the fiberglass world, anything is possible (if you can get the material).

The only concern I would have is what the title/reg would reflect. Certain states have the length, weight, etc.... which you would obviously be changing significantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.