Getting ready for the Houston Boat Show

Discussion in 'Events, Open Houses, Shows' started by STXBV, Dec 22, 2017.

1. STXBV

STXBV Active Member

Hi everyone,

The Houston Boat Show (HBS) is coming up and I will be out of town. I am sending my better half and a friend to gather things that are a smoking deal compared to what can be found. I will be getting a Cayenne in 2018. With HBS right around the corner I need your help. I have been researching parts and will start collecting them. The questions I have are as follows.

1. What are the best prices that you can find now to compare to HBS prices?

2. Also what are your recommendations on the topics?

• Motor: Evinrude E-Tec 60 can’t beat the warranty
    • Trolling motor: Riptide Terrova 55/i-Pilot 1363706
    • Chart plotter Navigation Display: Lowrance, Simrad (7-9in Recommendations)
    • Battery: Odyssey, Northstar looking for a AGM (Recommendations)
    • Battery Maintainer: Powermania Turbo M212V2
    • Pole Anker: Power or Manual pole: I do like the simplicity of the manual setup. I do like the easy of just pressing a button as well. But I don’t like the micro pole because I just think it will be in the way while poling. Thinking the 6ft power pole or just the 9ft CF stick.
    • Push pole: (Recommendations) Stiffy? What model? I like the stiffy hull mounts because they will break away.
    Any other products that I can’t think of please share.

Thank you

Chris

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  2. STXBV

STXBV Active Member

Trolling motor: Riptide Terrova 55/i-Pilot 1363706

All i could find was 1449.99 for the trolling motor price, not much wiggle room.

3. EvanHammer

EvanHammer I Love microskiff.com!

Margins on those are pretty tight plus manufacturers pretty tightly control pricing. The Terrova isn't the auto deploy, is it? Should be cheaper than that for t h e 55?

4. STXBV

STXBV Active Member

No auto deploy/extract but easy deploy/extract.

5. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

MFD: Simrad NSS9 > Simrad NSS7 > GO9 > GO7. Choice here is budget IMO.

Battery: Get a Duracell/Dekka/East Penn AGM. All made by East Penn and hands down the best bang for the buck for a quality battery.

Charger: Like your choice... have the same in a 3 bank.

Anchor: We use a PP and a Wang anchor. The PP to stop us quick and the manual to keep us from spinning. Lots of guides around here use two manual anchors. Two PPs off the back is a lot of weight for most skiffs IMO. 8' seems to be the sweet spot on PPs. 10s don't hold as well and 6s sometimes come up a bit short in the trout flats or steep bars.

Push: I would get a Moonlighter and save a few bucks but I am a TM guy.

STXBV likes this.
  6. STXBV

STXBV Active Member

Alright thanks man you have been a great help.

7. TGlidden

TGlidden I Love microskiff.com!

I'd go with a stiffy guide series, that's going to be your motor most of the time. I'd like to go to a Stiffy Extreme, but I stake out with my push pole. Also, I'd do a quick detach mount on the trolling motor and battery. You can save draft by only carrying it when you need to. Haven't tried Simrad, but I've had good luck with a Lowrance HDS-7, since switching from Garmin. Sears offers a AGM battery made by Oydessy, but at a better price. Power poles are cool, but heavy and in Texas I don't want to sacrifice the draft. Manual stake out sticks work just fine. Hope that helps

Smackdaddy53, STXBV and sjrobin like this.
  8. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Travis understands poling and sight casting in Texas bays.

STXBV likes this.
  9. STXBV

STXBV Active Member

The Guide is about a pound lighter than most other push poles. Think that's a big savings when you pole for a day. Are you say you use your push pole as a stake in the back as well? The power pole Pro 2 is 26.3lbs total. I agree with you and want to keep my draft minimal as possible. I think I will be using two manuals sticks. Would you recommend 8ft and what brand are you running?Also the cool thing about Lowrance is that I can take his sd card and download his routes and markers.

10. TGlidden

TGlidden I Love microskiff.com!

Yes, lifting the pole out of the water every time you reset for 8hrs+ anything helps. And I have two ropes on either side of the poling platform, so I can use the pole stuck in the bottom at the same angle the I'm poling and tie off to hold the boat. I also use a wang anchor stake out stick, 8' I think. On my skiffs 25lbs on the stern is 1/4" in draft, I'm not willing to give that up for a slight convenience. Saying it's just a 1/4" or 25lbs for this or that adds up quickly. I have a 6' on one Skiff from the previous owner that's coming off soon, aside from the weight, it keeps trying to throw me off the platform when the remote button sticks in shallow water. Even with good balance, and being used to poling platforms, unexpectedly having one move straight up a foot or so isn't fun. As soon as I can get that boat in to be repaired from the power pole installation it's coming off.

STXBV likes this.
  11. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

when do you plan on buying your motor?

Evinrudes perfect 10 promotion goes until the end of April i think

What ever you do Id try to make sure they dont start the warranty until its rigged on the boat.

12. STXBV

STXBV Active Member

Idk I was going to see if I can get a good deal at the boat show.

May 1st 2018 it ends

I will try but that might night be up to you or me. It maybe once a consumer has purcessed it.

13. STXBV

STXBV Active Member

I understand where you are coming from, I will be going with the stake out sticks. I will be talking to them to see if i can get my starting battery up by my trolling motor to help balance the boat out more as well.

14. jhreels

jhreels Active Member

I have a Cayenne as well. A Simrad GO7 and Simrad IS35 display can be flush mounted together on the Ankona console. The E Tec is already set up to output NMEA data to these instruments as well.