Getting Into Fly Tying....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by DeepSouthFly, Jul 11, 2017.

1. tailwalk

tailwalk Well-Known Member

Bobbins, scissors (one good pair for materials and another for cutting wire if you're using brushes. Could also just be a pair of wire cutters) a bodkin, a comb/brush, and of course a vise. That's pretty much a complete list of tools needed, imo. Learn to whip finish by hand. I bought the tool and now it sits in a drawer. Waste of money. So was the dubbing loop twister. Maybe if I did a ton more flies with dubbing loops, but you can also just use a paper clip. Best advice I've seen to beginning tiers (that I of course ignored completely ☺) is to find a fly that works and buy what's needed to tie that fly. At most, get stuff to do a light and dark version. It's tempting to buy a bunch of stuff and get creative but if you can stick to a few patterns you'll develop tying skills and not end up needing a storage unit to keep all the stuff you don't even use.

2. Tx_Whipray

Tx_Whipray Well-Known Member

I can't overstate how important good scissors are.

mosquitolaGOON and crboggs like this.

3. DeepSouthFly

DeepSouthFly Well-Known Member

Yeah I had a shat ton of stuff in my e bay cart but I'm about to start deleting some of it. I feel the same, once I find something I like I'll stick to it and a lot of the other would be a waste.

4. eightwt

eightwt Active Member

What happened to me was when I first started, I was in Ohio and fished warmwater. Then moved to eastern shore and then mostly the salt with some warm and occasional trout . Then it was to the Black Hills and mostly trout with some warmwater. Along the way I gathered materials as needed. Now in Fl. and the salt with some warmwater again so still had those materials. Even still adding. Point is you may end up with a bunch of stuff by the time you are in the Lords landing net.

5. DeepSouthFly

DeepSouthFly Well-Known Member

Racked up last night on a closing Gander Mountain in my area! Most of the good stuff was gone but got some good hackle at half off.

6. bananabob

bananabob I Love microskiff.com!

I get a lot of stuff at Dollar Tree. Plastic bins for materials, plastic bead chains, super glue. Clear nail polish for $1 vs Sally Hansens for what ever they charge for basically the same stuff. You never know what you might find usable for pennies compared to a fly shop plus there's usually one close almost everywhere. Closest fly shop to me is 45 minutes away.

7. mwong61

mwong61 I Love microskiff.com!

If you guys shop at Costco they have a private label (Kirkland brand) 7 year old that is surprisingly good. As I understand its made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. A great everyday snort. (2 or 3 snorts if tying EP flies, those things drive me nuts...)

For the top shelf stuff my 2 faves are Blantons and EH Taylor.

8. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

@DeepSouthFly I did not read the other replies, so some of this has likely already been said.
    Vise. Get a rotary. A little pricey but a Traveler will last you a lifetime, I know a guy that's selling a really nice vise (Regal) let me know if you are still looking for one.

Tools. You can buy a kit for very little then decide to upgrade a piece at a time as you go. Then the initial stuff becomes backup.

Materials...My advice would be to decide what you want to tie (I'd start with some basic patterns, cracks/clousers/ducers etc..) and then just but what you need for those patterns. If you discover that you don't have something that you need just stop by the house, and I'll hook you up. It's really easy to end up with a bunch of stuff that takes forever to use. Go see Kevin in Apalach for your bucktail, I've been to fly shops all over and his are easily the best.

crboggs likes this.
  9. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Yer bout to get screwed up fer sure.... like the rest of us! Ha!

:p

crboggs likes this.
  10. I've got two bottles left of the col. Eh Taylor, that stuff is great!

When I did the bourbon trail a few years back I noticed the Kirkland bourbon in the vault at Jim Beam. They keep a sample of every mash so if they have numerous complaints the can go back to sample something in that timeframe to see if something was off. Anyway, I asked about it and apparently it's a knob creek mash and bottle, check it out next time you're at Costco, they usually have the 100 proof knob creek not far away and the bottles look almost identical. Bourbon is fun

E-money likes this.
  11. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

My dogs love it when I open up my buck tail bin. The little female pit tries to sneak off with them when I'm not looking.

12. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

Man you can find stuff what novel idea

13. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

I have a cat that will open a drawer in my fly tying desk and dig something out that she can play with. That, I'm not worried about so much as being alert if she grabs a fly off the desk when I'm not lookin and runs off to try to eat it! :eek:

MatthewAbbott likes this.
  14. huh?

15. MatthewAbbott

MatthewAbbott Active Member

I had an outside cat get hooked by a crappie jig once. Think I'd rather thumb wrestle Edward Scissor hands than try and get another jig out of a cats mouth again.

RunningOnEmpty and Backwater like this.
  16. permitchaser

My fly tying desk has piles of stuff. Sometimes I have to search for things like eyes or hooks

17. MatthewAbbott

MatthewAbbott Active Member

I've been missing my brown sharpie for 3 days now... it's gone... I guess I'm going to have to buy a new one.

18. Ahh yeah Pegboard really helps take out the hunting for materials time frame.

19. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

I left my jig rod leaning up against my wall in the house without the jig hooked into the keeper. At 6 am my cat got hooked in the mouth and I was woken up to a awful sound and my drag screaming. I jumped out of bed and grabbed the rod and played him out like a fish. Cats put up one hell of a fight!

20. permitchaser

I hope you had a Boga to weigh it. Cat, dog, parrot...land slam