Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been teaching for 30 years and every spring my seniors experience "Senioritis". Although I understand it, I vaguely remember the feeling. I've come to realize at 62 years young I'm experiencing it right now. I have two weeks left before I retire and the feelings I'm experiencing are a mix of uncertainty and excitement. There is one thing for sure (my wife pointed it out), I have an entirely new life a head of me filled with exploring new areas to fish, people to meet and flies to tie.
Its a little weird, the uncertainty of it all, the lack of structure and not giving a shit about time or dates but instead using tides and moons to determine where I'm at any given time. I'm so looking forward to getting the hell out of this shit hole and surround myself with like minded people.
If I should feel the need to be of service in some capacity, I may operate a water taxi, our private boat from Island to mainland and maybe volunteer with the LE marine division.
Either way 8 more class days and I'm finally free from this shit.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
..., the lack of structure ...
For someone who has gone to work every day for years, you will probably feel lost, lazy and irresponsible. Like you ought to be doing some work but you just don't know what it is. Feel free to get a real estate agent license to give you something to piddle at on bad wx days.

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,178 Posts
I retired from public work at age 62, 3 years ago. I still get the urge to find something "constructive" to do. I do fish more, work on my boat, tend my yards more, and do not regret for a minute retiring when I did. I do want a "project" like rebuilding a small skiff, maybe a small tractor. I love those old red belly Fords. Sounds like you have it figured out, enjoy your new life!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I retired from public work at age 62, 3 years ago. I still get the urge to find something "constructive" to do. I do fish more, work on my boat, tend my yards more, and do not regret for a minute retiring when I did. I do want a "project" like rebuilding a small skiff, maybe a small tractor. I love those old red belly Fords. Sounds like you have it figured out, enjoy your new life!
Thank you

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,198 Posts
There's so much that needs to be done that require the help of people like you. Find things you enjoy (like fishing) but find ways to "give back". Be thankful for the blessings in your life and be willing to share your bounty with others and you will be blessed. Good luck and enjoy your retirement!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's so much that needs to be done that require the help of people like you. Find things you enjoy (like fishing) but find ways to "give back". Be thankful for the blessings in your life and be willing to share your bounty with others and you will be blessed. Good luck and enjoy your retirement!
In addition to operating a water taxi/ferry and LE marine volunteer I’ve looked into Governor DeSantis idea of a State Guard.
I’m confident I can be of some service somewhere even if its taking a kid fishing once in a while or offering my rod building skills as a donation to some cause. I‘ve always regretted not serving my country or my community from some LE capacity. Some would say I have by working with HS students with special needs and being the HS Dean for 1800+ kids. I don’t feel it. But it’s been a great ride.. as one journey ends a new one begins.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In addition to operating a water taxi/ferry and LE marine volunteer I’ve looked into Governor DeSantis idea of a State Guard.
I’m confident I can be of some service somewhere even if its taking a kid fishing once in a while or offering my rod building skills as a donation to some cause. I‘ve always regretted not serving my country or my community from some LE capacity. Some would say I have by working with HS students with special needs and being the HS Dean for 1800+ kids. I don’t feel it. But it’s been a great ride.. as one journey ends a new one begins.
Don’t underestimate the service to your country, while you may not have served in the military, it sounds like you have been a great citizen of this country, that’s one heck of service to your country!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don’t underestimate the service to your country, while you may not have served in the military, it sounds like you have been a great citizen of this country, that’s one heck of service to your country!
Thank you and I thank all that served.

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,178 Posts
AMEN!

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,178 Posts
Is there a Project Healing Waters chapter nearby? Volunteering with a Veterans group is better IMO than giving money.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have friends with ranches who do wounded warriors hunting events. Perhaps an opportunity there in fishing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
992 Posts
Look into volunteering with Project Healing Waters,

·
Registered
68 Posts
After a short while you will wonder how you ever had time for work! Enjoy.
Strongly agree, from my experience.
For someone who has gone to work every day for years, you will probably feel lost, lazy and irresponsible. Like you ought to be doing some work but you just don't know what it is. Feel free to get a real estate agent license to give you something to piddle at on bad wx days.
Strongly disagree, from my experience. But everyone is different.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Thanks for being a teacher. Last ten years have probably been very different. School boards are a mess. There are great students out there that appreciate teachers. I have one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for being a teacher. Last ten years have probably been very different. School boards are a mess. There are great students out there that appreciate teachers. I have one.
You’re welcome and you’re right about the last 10 years. Politics have a way of poisoning everything!!!

·
waterman 16
550 Posts
If you get the urge to teach again...my dad still volunteers by tutoring kids at local women's shelters, etc.

When I retired, I tried the realtor estate gig...sounds better than it is. Most of the folks you have deal with are jackasses. I like your ideas better!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts