Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work this winter. I’ve decided on not doing a front deck hatch. I might make a custom one for my bulkhead hatch replacement. But the real question is, probably a good one for Boatbrains.
I’m going to refinish cockpit and Seadek. Refinishing the cockpit consist of sanding down existing finish. Replace foam core/glass under gunnel rod holders with Starboard in black. Original build resin is vinylester and I’m told finish is Awlgrip 8010 off white. Looks laid on heavy over glass. Not a mirror finish. It looks like gel to me. So if I’m not sure what existing finish is, what would be compatible for going over vinylester, gel or Awlgrip after sanding as a fairing compound? Then since 90percent is covered by Seadek, what would be a good finish for roll and tip? Not worth spraying since so little area is visible.

G

·
In short, both gel and awlgrip will bond with vinylester. There are other paint options out there that are in my opinion as good and some even better than awlgrip though. With gelcoat you will be wetsanding and buffing out the slicks! With paint you will prep the surface, prime the surface, scuff the primer as recommended by the manufacturer and then topcoat and done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts