Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was asking a question about Suzuki's water Jackets and during the replies, this was sent to me.
1. What are your thoughts?
2. Would this void warranty of a new motor?
3. Really?
P.S. Not sure if this goes here or ?
Thanks,
___

Get 60hp out of 40hp Suzuki

In the air intake manifold, there is a round disc like part with the strange name of a “silencer holder”.

What it really is, is a air restrictor plate.
In the 40 it has a couple of 1/2” holes in it.
The 60 is just one large hole that is the full diameter of the plate.

So just remove the 40hp Silemcer Holder, and put the one from the 60hp in.

In mine, which is a DF40A, the part number for the 60hp silencer holder is 13813-88L00.

Suzuki 13813-88L00 - HOLDER, SILENCER | Boats.net

And to repeat what JC said:

And to repeat what JC Designs said:
I am not responsible or liable for any warranty related issues, non warranty related issues, accident or loss, death and or dismemberment, epa fines, or any other issues that may arise from this “illegal” modification.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,243 Posts
It’s possible but you would have to check part numbers to ensure the injectors and computer are the same as on the 60 as well.

I would bet it will negate your warranty.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s possible but you would have to check part numbers to ensure the injectors and computer are the same as on the 60 as well.

I would bet it will negate your warranty.
Ya my thinking as well on all points but I have never owned a 4Stroke-Yet.

·
Brandon, FL
11,563 Posts
Suzuki Outboard Parts by Model DF 40A DF 40ATL Beginning VIN# 04003F-110001 Intake Manifold / Silencer / Exhaust Cover
Suzuki Outboard Parts by Model DF 50A DF 50ATL Beginning VIN# 05003F-210001 Intake Manifold / Silencer / Exhaust Cover
Suzuki Outboard Parts by Model DF 60A DF 60ATLX Beginning VIN# 06002F-010001 Intake Manifold / Silencer / Exhaust Cover
Suzuki Outboard Parts by Year 2011 DF 60ATL Beginning VIN# 06002F-110001 Intake Manifold / Silencer / Exhaust Cover
Suzuki Outboard Parts by Year 2011 DF 40ATL Beginning VIN# 04003F-110001 Intake Manifold / Silencer / Exhaust Cover

It looks like this same piece was used on the 40, 50, and 60's in different models.

So how would it be that the same $6 piece that comes off the 40 and fits the 60 increase the hp by 50%?

Are you sure there is no other different parts as I have never seen anyone giving away something for free (except in this case it is $6)

Here is a pic of the two fuel injectors - looks to be different parts

Seems to be more to this story.

Maybe if you change the sticker on the cowling that will make it faster.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know but here is another reply when I mentioned the warranty etc, to the person who sent me the info.
____
Been running it on my 40 for 3.5 years no dramas. Know others who have also without any issues.

The engines have a map sensor and I understand the computer adjusts mixture to account for the additional airflow. It made a huge difference, we picked up nearly 700rpm and had to fit a prop with more pitch.

We actually got the info on how to do it from a Suzuki dealer!

Its a 15 minute job to put the old one back in. Your call whether you want to try it or not.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a 4Stroke.
Was talking about it and someone sent me this information so I though I would share and find some other answers etc.
Personally, I would not do this on a warranty engine.

·
Brandon, FL
11,563 Posts
I don't know but here is another reply when I mentioned the warranty etc, to the person who sent me the info.
____
Been running it on my 40 for 3.5 years no dramas. Know others who have also without any issues.

The engines have a map sensor and I understand the computer adjusts mixture to account for the additional airflow. It made a huge difference, we picked up nearly 700rpm and had to fit a prop with more pitch.

We actually got the info on how to do it from a Suzuki dealer!

Its a 15 minute job to put the old one back in. Your call whether you want to try it or not.
Where is this other thread - I would like to read it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where is this other thread - I would like to read it.
On a different forum.
Mainly just a reply as I posted above, nothing else.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. That is why I posted it because I know nothing about 4Strokes/these new engines etc and wanted to ask.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope. Thats not how a speed density system works. If it used a mass air flow system then maybe.
Please remember everyone, I'm quoting a person from a discussion.
I have never said it would work or.
Just wanted to be clear.
Thanks for the replies etc. and the Yamaha comment.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
It used to be simple with carbureted 2 strokes. a manufacturer would build say a 50 hp model and then detune it for the 40hp class. usually was a matter of jetting and/or air intake and/or ecu. some could be fairly easily altered to get back to 50hp by swapping parts. with computerized and fuel injected 4 strokes I suspect its not that easy any more.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It used to be simple with carbureted 2 strokes. a manufacturer would build say a 50 hp model and then detune it for the 40hp class. usually was a matter of jetting and/or air intake and/or ecu. some could be fairly easily altered to get back to 50hp by swapping parts. with computerized and fuel injected 4 strokes I suspect its not that easy any more.
Ya but we see these race cars with FI and they are adjusting their timing, air intake etc with a computer.
Not sure how this works w/Outboards, the thought just popped into my head.
P.S. Real racing=old school in my book, but wow, the HP those engine put out now is amazing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
From looking around it seems there are a few similar conversions. Suzuki 9.9 to roughly 20. Yamaha 50hp to 60hp. Tohatsu 50hp to 60hp all four strokes. It did sound like you need to also replace the ECU (or whatever its called) to get the full HP. Some noted lots more low to mid power with just the different restrictor. Someone mentioned about $300 for parts, I can't remember which one it was for.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts