Gen 2 Copperhead with 40hp Yamaha prop selection?

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by pete_paschall, Feb 26, 2012.

1. pete_paschall

pete_paschall I Love microskiff.com!

I am starting a build on a Copperhead soon, and want to go with a 40 HP Yamaha. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to prop it? Thanks!

Pete

2. fourby4chevy@yahoo

fourby4chevy@yahoo Well-Known Member

It all depends on your preference. You gotta establish if you want more whole shot or top end? I have a 14 pitch SS on mine and it jumps out of the water like a wet cat! But then like PIB's it takes a little longer out of the hole but has more top end with his 20 pitch. So establish whats the best for your conditions and make you decision from there.

3. Chevystroked383

Chevystroked383 I Love microskiff.com!

Are yu running a tiller or console you will need a tach to prop the boat to max efficiency just be Shure to ask for a bow lifting prop I'm running a 40 tohatsu tiller and have a 12 pitch it does 30.8 mph on gps and that is loaded to the max

4. pete_paschall

Thanks for the replies. It will be a center console, and if I had to choose I would lean toward better hole shot. But a good balance of hole shot and top end would be my preference. I really don't know much about pitch and how it affects performance, so I am grateful for anything you can tell me.

Pete

5. fourby4chevy@yahoo

I run a 50 2 stroke yamaha. I have a 14 pitch stainless. It has a excellent holeshot. My top end is about 36mph. If I raise my pitch to about a 16 I could probably gain a few more miles an hour in my top end but then again my hole shot will decrease. If your fishing very shallow water you might want a better holshot to get up and go. Or if you run more open water you could run a bigger pitch for a better cruising speed. It's really your preference. Just decide what your going to mostly do and decide from there.

6. pete_paschall

Thanks! I think maybe a 14 pitch will work. I'm not that concerned with top end speed, as long as I can get to the fish and get back out when the tide drops.

Pete

7. fourby4chevy@yahoo

What motor you running? 4 or 2 stroke?

8. pete_paschall

I'd love to get my hands on a new 2 stroke, but they seem tough to find so I am planning to go with a 4 stroke.

Pete

9. fourby4chevy@yahoo

A yamaha would be my first choice. I've had nothing but good experience with them. If you want a two stroke look into a etec? Not a bad motor at all. It's really all your preference.

10. pete_paschall

I am definitely going with a Yamaha. I have nothing against the other brands, it's just that I have always had Yamahas and they have never let me down. Gonna go with what I know.

Pete

11. levip

levip I Love microskiff.com!

just know that that fourstroke yam is a different animal than your old two stroke yam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrnU2nDj_Yk