Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday i started some gelcoat im using composite envisions non waxed gc. Its about 3 weeks oldat best as i ordered direct from the manufacturer. My first coat i cleaned everything with acetone and brushed on the gc i also added wax. This first batch hardened i sanded smooth with 80g on a da sander. I sprayed my second coat today with wax. temp about 75 This was 4 hours ago still not hard. I thinned it about 10% and washed everything with acetone before spraying i catalized at 1.7% calculating before thinning with acetone. Did i over thin or isit because i used acetone as a cleaner instead of water?

Attachments

G

·
Most gels catalyze at 2% but you should be ok at 1.7%. Are you 100% sure you remembered wax additive? You can put some in you paint gun and spray a very fine mist “not able to see it wetting” on the surface. Worst case, wipe off with acetone, re sand, spray again. Make sure you don’t “overthin”! Gelcoat orange peels, it’s ok! Your gonna end up “if done properly” with a film thickness of 25-30 mils and after wet sanding and buffing you’ll be around 20mils. Don’t expect it to lay like paint amd don’t thin/force it to the point of laying down like paint... it doesn’t end well.

G

·
Wipe it off with acetone very good and spray another. Build up a nice film thickness “minimum of about 15 mils” and you should be good.

G

·
Up to about 20% but that is pushing it. You are better off putting it on thick and wet sanding it back down than trying to thin like paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts