Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an all in one kit that is recommended for a gel coat repair? I have some minor cracks and 1 major cracks that I am going to repair. I am looking at using a gelcoat with wax already in it because I'm not sure I would get measurements right when trying to mix them. For the major fix I have to basically fix the glass and then build it up to take the gel. So I am going to get some chopped glass and resin to repair that. I'm not super concerned about the color match as the boat white. I don't have a spray gun so I will be applying with a foam brush and using mylar, wax paper or masking tape for the smoothness. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Chad

B

·
0 Posts
They are out there, but you’d be better off buying a pint of “interior” aka “bilge” gel coat some cabosil and viola you have a gel coat repair kit with enough product to do multiple repairs. The kits have only a very small amout of gelcoat and are mostly pigments.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. Suggestion on a glass repair kit?

·
Brandon, FL
10,096 Posts
You can get everything except gelcoat from raka.com

Jamestowndistributors.com for gel

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
foam brush is useless with gelcoat. just use one of those small disposal paintbrushes, pull any loose hairs out 1st. brush it on thick and wet sand it after it sets. buff. voila.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the glass repair I was looking at the west kit. I’m concerned it’s not enough.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is definitely probably more of what I am needing. Thanks

What activator is recommended? As you can see I have never done this before.

·
Brandon, FL
10,096 Posts
Chad,

Your little hour repair job seems to be growing by the day.

Now we need pics in order to help you out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chad,

Your little hour repair job seems to be growing by the day.

Now we need pics in order to help you out.
Boats at the shop right now getting a new oil pump, once it comes back I'll take a pic and share with the group. But you're right it seems like an easy fix is anything but. I do appreciate all of the feedback for sure so thank you very much.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to post a picture but I keep getting error. Trying to post from my iPhone & iPad. Suggestions?

·
Brandon, FL
10,096 Posts
Below the reply section are 3 orange buttons. Click the upload a file and search your camera roll for the pic. After yo have selected click done. Then you will see them in the reply section, click full size.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
upload_2019-2-23_12-53-51.jpeg

This is the most severe spot. A few other with cracking like above.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are out there, but you’d be better off buying a pint of “interior” aka “bilge” gel coat some cabosil and viola you have a gel coat repair kit with enough product to do multiple repairs. The kits have only a very small amout of gelcoat and are mostly pigments.
What is the ratio to gel & cabosil? I'm looking at either this or getting a fiberglass reinforced filler. I have several cracks to repair and I'm looking to be the most cost effective and best repair method. I'm buying the "pieces" now so that when it's time, it's all in.

TIA,
Chad

B

·
0 Posts
You’ll want a minimum of about 60% gelcoat in the mix. Add in the cabosil slowly until you get a cake frosting/peanut butter consistency. Catalize for the amount of gelcoat in the mix. If using unwaxed gelcoat don’t forget to add some surfacing agent or duratec high gloss in the mix.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
S
You’ll want a minimum of about 60% gelcoat in the mix. Add in the cabosil slowly until you get a cake frosting/peanut butter consistency. Catalize for the amount of gelcoat in the mix. If using unwaxed gelcoat don’t forget to add some surfacing agent or duratec high gloss in the mix.
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Use a Preval sprayer. Can get glass jar and power spray can at your local HD or Lowes. thin out gelcoat with styrene or acetone, much better than brush or foam

1 - 20 of 20 Posts