Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a quote from GEICO for a combination policy insurance n towing per year for just a little more than my previous towing policy. Is Geico a legitimate company?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not sure if you are looking for boat and towing or just some thing like Sea Tow. If your shopping boat insurance, check with Charter Marine, I have used them and they are very helpful and competitive. Unfortunately I had to file a claim, it was handled fairly and professionally.

Charter Lakes Marine
[email protected]
281-452-7800

·
Registered
459 Posts
Geico does not have marine insurance. They sell Boat US insurance. That policy will include $10 for Boat US towing. I believe Boat US towing is unlimited but not sure on that. I had Geico branded insurance because it is ok insurance and it gave me a discount on other insurance policies. I even got a refund when I sold the Blue Wave. All of this applies only to the part of Texas where I live. After watching all these Liberty Mutual commercials I decided to see how much we could save. After a bit of chit chat the Agent asked the crucial question: Where do you live Mr. ?????? Why Rockport Texas of course. Is there any where else? The conversation suddenly turned very cold. Mr. ?????? we do not insure anything in Rockport Texas. Period! Sooooo Geico it is for now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've got mine through progressive and it includes lower unit, sea tow agreed value on the boat and replacement values on equipment. $27 per month

·
Registered
Salt Marsh Heron 16
25 Posts
I have been happy with Progressive. They have Sign and Glide which basically includes towing and other on water services. Cost was almost dead on with Geico/Boat US. When I got a quote from Charter Lakes they were the highest.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
I have been happy with Progressive. They have Sign and Glide which basically includes towing and other on water services. Cost was almost dead on with Geico/Boat US. When I got a quote from Charter Lakes they were the highest.
Cheap insurance isn’t good and good insurance isn’t cheap, same goes for prostitutes, beer and tattoos.
Charter Lakes will take care of you, no BS automated answering service either.

·
Registered
375 Posts
All insurance is "good" until you need it. That is when you find out what you really have. Some of you may or may not know this, but there is a coastal clause in many policies that does not cover your boat if it is used in an area deemed coastal. I don't remember the exact criteria but I do remember that this policy was essentially worthless to me. I think it was b/c anything south of the Intracoastal was not covered, so it was basically an inland water policy. Didn't know this til a buddy clue'd me in on it. Do they tell you this? Of course not. Just an example of the kinds of problems you DON'T have with Brice, Allie and the team at Charter Lakes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I asked about coastal clause because sea tow, etc, don't cover you inland in florida.
I'm covered in salt, brackish and fresh water. Otherwise, I would have kept shopping

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have Boat US Insurance that is now underwritten by Geico. They paid 50% on our hurricane haulout last year without any fuss. Haven't needed them otherwise.

We pay $350 annually for 30k Agreed Value Boat/Trailer, $500 Towing, 300k liability, 5k medical per person, 5k personal effects replacement cost (rods/reels/tackle/etc), 300k Uninsured with $225 deductible hull/$50 personal, 50% of hurricane haul out expenses. This is on a 18' skiff, stored on a lift on the Florida Gulf coast.

I also carry a sizable umbrella policy as should most people with assets worth protecting.

·
Premium Member
Mangrove 18 Tohatsu 60
61 Posts
Geico underwrites their own policies and they are a legitimate choice. I recently had a big claim with them and it was handled fairly and efficiently and they didn’t jack my rates unreasonably. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts