geenoe repair

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by jms, Nov 22, 2012.

1. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

i picked up a gheenoe - 1987 13'

rough !

transom's wasted,keel was repaired - scary repair too...

gonna build a front and aft deck - and drop  false deck in it - but first,gotta undo the "mickey"...

i cut the benches out and the center storage area - ground out the "keel" area and layed it up - the keel's been repaired on the outside of the hull - pretty confdent,once i get grinding the outside,i may go through the glass - layed it all up - bow to transom...

flipped it over and here's what the repairs looked like :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

before any kind of repair is done,gel coat needs to be removed - the pictures show,the repairs were made over top of clean,glossy gel - nothing will stick to that...this looks like some kind of cheap crap putty - not a good move,no strength in putty...these areas were ground out ,the entire keel,bow to stern,was layed up again  - repairs done with fiberglass is structual,repairs made with putty are not...

after the repair:

[​IMG]

the repair will be faired into the hull - retaining the original shape,there were alot of repairs required - lots of matt and epoxy to this little hull...

after the hull's squared away,i'm gonna cut the rotted core out of the tansom and core it - penske board is the core of choice - it's strong and it won't rot,like plywood - i use epoxy,epoxy provides the most reliable bond,when working with fiberglass and coring - vinylester resins are good too - polyester based resins provide the weakest bond - they're also pourous - epoxy is waterproof,it's a much better product...

working on this "between" jobs...

2. jms

gotta decide how long to build both the decks - thinking 4' from the bow to the bulkhead for the front,and 32" from the transom to the bulkhead for the aft...

3. jms

had some time between jobs -started on the transom

cut the core out - made a template of the transom,and cut replacement core - 1/2" penske board - 2 layers.penske board is a composite product,the best,in my opinion.composites will not rot,and in the case of penske board,it's a dense foam,with interlocking fibers,it will absorb no water...

the "skin" of the transom was a little damaged,stress cracks,due to the bad core,the skin was repaired,by grinding out the defects and laying it up again in -this assures a structually sound repair.

the repalcement core,is the same physical size of  the transom - versus whatwas on there - the core only went halfway down ??

the penske board is laminated to the hull using west system epoxy,mixed with 403 adhesive additive - this assures the best possible bond...

as you can see in the pictures,the transom now has a thickness of 1 1/2" - with 1" core and the skin being built up - the original skin is just about 3/16" thick - just a little better huh ??

the core will be glassed to all 3 sides,the bottom of the hull and the sides of the hull - "knees" will be fabricated from the hull's bottom,laminated to the core - this will provide additional support to the transom.with the lite weight of the materials used,the increase in overall weight will be minimal.

the false deck will be fabricated from penske board as well and the front and aft decks and bulkheads...
    the end result of these mods will be a very strong,lite weight,structually sound product,that will never rot,or delaminate - not a bad thing huh ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

I wanna buy this when your done :)

5. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Given your skills, this might be the nicest rebuild ever.

Hurry up and finish!

6. jms

alot of "paying" jobs in the shop - i'm working on this,between jobs and while i'm on drying time...

7. jms

i did make up a set of "knees" for the transom - these will provide additional support to the transom.made from my favorite material,penske board - lainated to both the hull and the transom with once again,my favorite product,west system epoxy with 403 adhesive additve...

[​IMG]

made up supports for both the front an back decks as well - these will be laminated to the hull's sides and the transom - the decks will "sit" on these - these will run the length of both the decks,with the deck laminated to them - these will serve to stiffen the hull.also made up  supports for the hull sides - these will "hold" the hull in the span between the decks - the center storage area had supports from aluminum - pop rivited to the rub rail - these will serve the same purpose as those - difference being,these will be running from the hull's bottom,supporting the sides.the false decks will also serve to stiffen the hull - decks will be laminated to the hull,in the same manner.
    doing repairs/modifications in this manner,makes the additions "one" with the hull - meaning,the parts are made integral with the hull,versus screwed in place - end result is a stronger end product.

the picture also shows the repairs done to the "inside"keel area - this area,from bow to transom has been layed up in glass - reason being,the hull's keel required repairing,the hull is pretty thin,i was pretty confident i was going to grind through a few spots,while repairing the damage - the hull's just about 3/16" thick...

we're making progress...

8. jms

found a little time today - between jobs

cut up some penske board - this will be a mounting point for the aft and fwd decks - the hull's sides were ground out,and prepped,the pieces were laminated to the hull and clamped - the piece on the transom is held in place with screws,till the epoxy mix kicks - then the screws will be pulled

tomorrow,the fwd sections will be laminated to the hull - inlcuding a few pieces for the bow - one,where the bow eye will be mounted,and another,that will support the forward section of the forward deck

this is looking down,from the top of the transom

[​IMG]

hull sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

progress....

9. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I'm just glad to see someone using a foam coring instead of wood, beginning to think e1 forgot why they don't make wood boats anymore. ;D :D

Boat looks great you will be done just in time to make a trip to St. Augustine to catch some tailers!!!!

What colors you going with?

10. jms

ice blue hull   
    matterhorn white inside - awlgrip

false decks are in - dropped it in yesterday

forward and aft decks were templated - cut out of penske board - on the lay up table...

i was going to drop the deck like this:
    [​IMG]

"CDX" plywood - only the good stuff there   ;)

recore the transom like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but - common sense stopped me... ;)

seriously: composites are definatley the way to go - super light and super strong...
    doing repairs/upgrades,using wood core - like the repairs in the above pictures - that's kinda scary -everyone has their own idea of "right and wrong"...

shouldn't be much work done on the gheeoe for the next few days - laying up stringers in a big job in the shop - ran out of "CDX" plywood - gotta run over to home depot again and pick some up... ;)

11. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Nothing wrong with that job: except they should have used Gorilla glue instead of JB Weld.

12. jms

what's scary is,people see repairs like that,and believe it's ok...

13. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

cdx - oh yeah !!!! top shelf all the way..
    looking good.
    didnt know they had woods in s. jersey :)

14. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Where he lives - it is not recognizable as Dirty Jerz - there might even be some banjos nearby.

15. jms

you got that right !

this is south jersey - we're below the mason/dixon line - or,as i like to call it,the DMZ...no fist pumpin' down here...
    no banjo's - that's the piney's...

16. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

below is ontario...
    m/d line turns south around white clay creek. :)

17. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

I bet Kreepa still got a youse guys (NJ equivalent of y'all) or two in him. ;D

Kreepa do you wear dungarees?

18. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

"What exit ya from ehh?"

19. jms

that's funny !!

can't get more red neck than me - i think i have 3 shirts,the sleeves aren't cut off on...

we're getting side tracked - this is about the gheenage,not me...

20. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Ah, but boats are an expression of self. Understand the man and you understand the boat. ;)

Enjoying the build and looking forward to seeing where it goes.