Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve posted about my “old ugly maverick” multiple times on here. That being said I’ve also expressed my love for the 2000 hpx tunnel. It’s my baby and I’ll never get rid of it. I have plenty of room to keep it around and give it away when I’m old if I ever decide I need a chittum or something. Until then I want to change the color of my old girl. I preface everything about keeping the boat blah blah, because I KNOW that gelcoat is the proper way to do it or lots of prep with awlgrip. But I just don’t want to do all that work, and I also don’t want to have my boat in a skiff shop for 2 months getting redone. I’m lucky enough to have access to a barn and tractors. I feel like in one weekend I could lift it up, tape it off, and roll it and have a brand new color and a slick bottom but do you guys think it would look horrible? It looks like that stuff rolls right on with minimal prep to the surface. They also have two cool colors I like. I would love opinions or maybe other companies that do the same thing. Thanks in advance
Table Rectangle Output device Automotive design Gadget

Light Rectangle Shade Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think you have already decided.... go for it!
FWIW two things come to mind, IF you decide to sell, this may limit the number of potential buyers,

AND

just be careful taking sharp turns, that some slick shit!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Give them a call. I did when I was thinking about it for my skiff build. They were very helpful.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
149 Posts
Having used it on the bottom of a Jon boat I can say it is very easy to apply and is really durable (I used the tougher variation). That being said it also has a textured finish that you may not like on a skiff.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
It has been a while since I was considering it, but I think adhesion and fading concerns were why I backed off.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
15,522 Posts
They have a primer just for fiberglass that works with the coating. If it fades, which mine still hasn’t, you can rough it up and recoat and it will last that much longer. I loved it on my aluminum hull and talk to the guy that bought it regularly. He’s still fishing it with no issues.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have a primer just for fiberglass that works with the coating. If it fades, which mine still hasn’t, you can rough it up and recoat and it will last that much longer. I loved it on my aluminum hull and talk to the guy that bought it regularly. He’s still fishing it with no issues.
How was application?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
149 Posts
If you have time could you show me what the finish looks like?
It is at my dad's house so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to snap a photo until this weekend. I would describe the texture as an orange peel though. I don't mean the "fish eye" it does when you first apply it either, that smooths out with multiple coats. It really is like the surface of an orange. I used the G4. You can see on their website, on the homepage you take a look at the bottom of the jet ski (blech), what I am talking about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts