Garmin vs Lohran

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by jgstephenson, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jgstephenson

jgstephenson Well-Known Member

Any thoughts?

I have a great Nuvi that I use in the car, but am considering a chart plotter unit for the boat. Garmin 440 maybe; but I don't want to make a mistake of this magnitude.

Anyone have experience that might help me make a decision on a good chart plotter?

2. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

If you want a unit that is very easy to use, a company with great customer service, and a unit that a company will stand behind garmin is the way to go. when i worked for west marine there were several occasions where i had to send in a customers unit that was out of warranty for repair, i would send it off and no lie in a week or so we would get the unit back and it would be a new refurbished unit with all data transferred and all that was charged was shipping and whatever there flat rate was for repair which i believe at the time was like 40 something bucks and there was the occasion where they didnt charge us anything and the customwer got a brand new unit, they are top of line when it comes to chartplotters. and they are a very good product. Garmin all the way.

Alex

3. jgstephenson

that was my take on things too.

what about mapping quality? My experience has been that in the coastal areas when you get into 1-3 feet....things get pretty sketchy.

Also, my Bluewaters America Charts did not have the detail I want on tidal creeks and small coastline areas. Have they improved any? I would imagine that sattelite imagery should have helped a lot?

4. islander1225

YEAH THE NEW MAPPING GARMIN IS USING IS AWSOME, BASICALLY YOU CAN GO WORNG WITH GARMIN. THERE FISHFINDERS ARE A LITTLE LESS THAN TO BE DESIRED BUT THE CHARTPLOTTERS ARE TOP OF THE LINE IN MY BOOK. tHE BLUECHART G2 VISION CHIPS ARE GREAT THEY ALSO HAVE AN AUTO ROUTING FEATURE THAT YOU CAN PUT IN A WAYPOINT AND EVEN IF YOU WOULD TECHNICALLY HAVE TO GO AROUND LAND TO GET TO THAT WAY POINT IT WILL SHOW YOU THE SAFEST ROUTE TO GET TO THE WAYPOINT, BASICALLY IT TAKES THE MAPS DATA AND DOES ALL CALCULATIONS AND YOU JUST FOLLOW THE ARROW. IT IS GREAT.

aLEX

ALEX

5. islander1225

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/g2vision/g2vision.jsp

THIS IS A GOOD LINK FOR TO LOOK AT THE NEW G2 VISION CHIPS.

aLEX

6. jgstephenson

7. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

There is NO comparison! Garmin all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!