Garmin or Lowrance?

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by LOUMan, Apr 15, 2014.

1. LOUMan

LOUMan Well-Known Member

I have a Dolphins Super skiff and I am looking to upgrade my current Garmin to a 7" screen with depth finder/GPS combo. Any opinions on which one to get? go!

2. Zhunter

Zhunter '01 17'8 Whipray

I'm a garmin guy, just bought a new 547

But don't rule out RayMarine

3. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

I just took a 5" Lowrance off of the center console my Dolphin that just fit between the Ritchie compass and the left side without over hanging. The right side was out because it would interfere with the throttle. I'm guessing you don't have a compass on top of your console if you're considering 7" screens.

If you are buying me a new one I'll take the Garmin echoMap 50s. However if the 70s fits on your console, you can get that for you. But IMO the 7" doesn't give you any more information for what is in front of you than the 5".

Garmin GPS is better than Lowrance.
    Lowrance depth finder is better than Garmin.

4. FlyFisherK

FlyFisherK Dieu et les Dames

I agree with mike. If you use the unit mainly for charts then Garmin can't be beat but if you use more sounder then Lowrance is a better option. That new echo from garmin is an awesome machine.

5. --AL--

--AL-- I Love microskiff.com!

I have Garmin and think the interface and software is clunky and unsophisticated. I'd say the device itself is pretty bulletproof but then again the little sd card slot door is half-broken on mine. Customer support is great if you want to pay long distance. They'll talk to you as long as you want...

And if you put a compass too close to the GPS while it is powered, it will skew the compass reading by several degrees depending on how close it is. If you actually use your compass you wanna move that away.

6. shiprock8

shiprock8 HB Whipray 16

Why would you need a compass if you have GPS?

7. PLANKTON7

PLANKTON7 I Love microskiff.com!

simrad nss7 evo 2

8. Zhunter

Zhunter '01 17'8 Whipray

Only a fool goes into wilderness areas (10,000 Islands or Everglades) without a compass.

Powered navigational devices sometimes lose power

9. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

True
    but I think he was being sarcastic

I've never fished 10,000 islands or been lost there for that matter but I would expect the only help you get from a compass would be a general bearing, which you could easily get by seeing where the sun is in the sky Indian style

10. Zhunter

Zhunter '01 17'8 Whipray

If it was humor I missed it and apologize

11. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

12. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

13. shiprock8

shiprock8 HB Whipray 16

Not being sarcastic, only because I did not think of it. Ha!

A small hand compass like you would have hiking, would suffice. Keep it in your 'possibles' bag. You also should have a cell phone with full battery and a compass app. There is no real reason to have a traditional compass on a modern skiff, or kayak. That being said..., if you have the room or already have one then great! ;)

14. swampman

swampman I Love microskiff.com!

Garmin Echo Maps 70s. Love it!