Garmin GPS help

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by UFgatorbait, Mar 1, 2014.

1. UFgatorbait

UFgatorbait I Love microskiff.com!

I'm looking for a garmin GPS that's not a handheld and runs off AA batteries. I'm trying not to add a battery or electrical. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

from the sounds of it (not wanting to add a battery) you are better off to use a hand held with a ram mount or something along those lines. I'd be surprised if there is a unit that is not hand held and runs on AA batteries.

3. UFgatorbait

UFgatorbait I Love microskiff.com!

yeah right now I'm doing a handheld with ram mount but someone mentioned using a trail camera battery to run a gps so thats something i will look into.

4. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

Why the camera batteries? I used to run a handheld Garmin on my dual sport bike. I beat the hell out of it. And it would last for days on end with fresh AAs.

5. GSSF

GSSF I love my microskiff

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I wanted a gps that would run off batteries (not necessarily AAs, just battery powered) and came across a Garmin 640, reconditioned, for a very fair price. Put a ram mount ball on my center console and one on my IPB 14, and move the unit between the 2 boats with no problems. Battery life is good, and since I only run it about 5 hours at a time (on and off), it works well for me. Screen can be a little hard to see in direct sunlight, but like anything else, it's all about the angle. On my little skiff, I have it tucked under some cup holders on a grab bar, and it is shaded at nearly every angle.

Good luck

6. nrhall

nrhall I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 640 with ram mount to sell. New only used a few times. Good unit and comes with box, manuals etc. I also have a back up lithium battery. I'm all in on it with ram mount and 2nd battery for close to 700. Selling for 500 and will ship.

7. nrhall

nrhall I Love microskiff.com!

It's a suction ram mount so no holes required.

8. kbkeys1

kbkeys1 I Love microskiff.com!

Hey Nick,

Just registered here.

9. kbkeys1

kbkeys1 I Love microskiff.com!

You have my shipping address in email.