Garmin 547xs Bluechart G2 Vision Question

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by hferrell87, Oct 29, 2014.

1. hferrell87

hferrell87 Well-Known Member

Just installed my new gps/chartplotter & was curious if it is worth purchasing the Bluechart G2 Vision? What does it help with most that isn't already preloaded on the unit?

2. kbkeys1

kbkeys1 I Love microskiff.com!

You get overlays of google earth, all the offshore bottom contours,etc. Check out classified section of FS forum. Splinter 25 has them for 50$ shipped. Bought one for me and two others for friends.

3. hferrell87

Awesome!! I ordered one and can't wait to check it out. Planning a trip down to Flamingo or chokoloskee and the Google overlay would be awesome for that. Thanks

4. SkinnyNaCIH2O

SkinnyNaCIH2O I Love microskiff.com!

How do you access the Google earth overlays? I don't see them on my unit with G2 vision.

5. hferrell87

It should automatically show once you have he micro sd in the slot. To be honest, the overlay is pretty butt! Only is land imagery and very grainy when barely zoomed in. I went through all the settings and found a blend of both the overlay and regular chart map.

6. miket

miket I Love microskiff.com!

Hello everyone. I have a Garmin 547xs w/Bluechart G2 but my issue that I am having and not sure if anyone of you also is that anything under 3ft of depth will not read and only blink and that is also while I am running or poling. Does anyone else have this same issue? I contacted Garmin and the person on the phone had no clue on the performance of the machine. She told me that it reads over 5ft which on an Ankona Copperhead I need something that will show me a depth of at least 1ft. The transducer is flushed with the bottom of the skiff so it looks fine to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also I did not know that in order to view the downVu you need to purchase a separate transducer for that option.

7. hferrell87

I've never been on a boat that could read a depth below 1.5 ft. Do you have a thru-hull flush transducer or one mounted near the tab?

8. miket

miket I Love microskiff.com!

hferrell the transducer is mounted near the tabs.