Garmin 545 Install with RAM Mount

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by Gramps, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

First addition to the new skiff was a Garmin GPSMAP 545, last week it was only stuck with velcro while the RAM was on order. The RAM mount came in last night and I go busy.

Below is a list parts list:

[​IMG]

4 - 8x32 Stainless Bolts
    4 - 10x32 Washers (They didn't have fender style washers in size 8)
    4 - 8x32 Nylock Nuts
    1 - 11/64" Drill Bit
    1 - 5/8" Contersink Bit
    1 - Ram Mount - RAM-B-101-G2U
    1 - Garmin GPSMAP 545
    2 - 12oz Miller Lites (Optional, but recommended)

First layout and test fit the unit, mark the bolt location, and drill. I just a nail to create divot to keep the drill bit from wandering, trust me on this!  ;) Holes drilled and and chamfer the edges with a counter-sink bit (helps prevent future stress cracks).

[​IMG]

Second apply silicon or 4200, I didn't want 5200 permanency, around the base & bolts to seal out water. Press firmly and then start the contortion.  ::)

[​IMG]

Thirdly install the washers and nylock nuts.  This was a pita with flat head machine screws, Lowes didn't have any phillips heads. But it turned out good enough for me!

[​IMG]

Lastly drill a hole for the power and transducer wires, chamfer the edges again. Then install a wire cover/clamshell, which I did not order... And you're done! Enjoy the permanent mount, dodge the oyster bars, and put the hammer down!

[​IMG]

None of the eletrical wiring was shown because it was plug and play, Aknona had the wiring waiting in the console; straight to the battery switch with an in-line fush on the Garmin.

2. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

nice write up, but...
    my garmin441s>your garmin545.

3. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

everyone>chasing male ;D