Garage rod storage

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AfterHours2, Aug 25, 2013.

1. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Trying to figure out a way to mount my rods in the garage but also be able to use a lock to keep thieves deterred. Done a few searches but have not come up with much as far as lockable rod storage. I know the easiest answer is to keep them inside but my manly room has transferred over to a baby room as of lately. Any ideas or pics of what you guys use.. Thx

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I have a rectangular wood frame (2'x4') made from 1" wood that is suspended from the ceiling with pullies and a hook on the wall. I pull on the rope, unhook the loop and lower it down, grab my rods and pull it all back up to the ceiling.

It is not lockable but it is up and out of sight of anyone looking in the garage.

3. AfterHours2

Thats a good idea but probably out of my ingenuity range. My first idea was to buy a premade garage cabinet from lowes. The only issue is that most are only 6' tall and the vast majority of my rods are 7-7'6". So, my only option is to cut grooves out of the top to slide the rods in and close and lock the door. Good idea?

4. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

Can you post some pics of it? I like the idea.

Another option could be something like the way a flat panel wall mount with a lock works...

I'm just thinking out loud

5. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

these are not lockable, but work very well
    http://coldtuna.com/

6. mikeregas

If you can find a way to create a solid bar in place of the bungee's it would be lockable, not theft proof, but it would slow them down some, maybe enough...

7. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

thats the first chit i'd steal.....after the miller light. ::)

---------
    V you need a lockable cabinet, its the only way to go.... i made one for a friend o mine that is 8' tall.

8. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Redfish...PM sent

9. AfterHours2

Thx for the link swaddict. On the site they show them mounted to the backside of the garage door which is neat as hell. I went ahead and ordered a couple sets. Thx again guys for the info. And Tide, let me know how much your 8' tall lockable cab sells for :D

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I sent pics to Redfish

11. mikeregas

Pretty cool I will post the pictures soon.

12. chew

chew I sit at a desk so I can stand in a boat!

I made a holder somewhat to the wood frame idea...... cost was about $30. i bout a stick of 2" pvc pipe, cut it down to about 6in sections.... attached them side by side on a 2x4, then repeated for 2nd one. one is bolted to the celing and the other is on a hook.... i can put the bases into the bolted side and they all hold well.... but then i slide the other end over the rod tips and it goes ona hook for better head room...... you could use a cable lock between the two and it would be an all or none kinda theft..... once you unbolted one side..... again just my $0.02

13. chew

I made a holder somewhat to the wood frame idea...... cost was about $30. i bout a stick of 2" pvc pipe, cut it down to about 6in sections.... attached them side by side on a 2x4, then repeated for 2nd one. one is bolted to the celing and the other is on a hook.... i can put the bases into the bolted side and they all hold well.... but then i slide the other end over the rod tips and it goes ona hook for better head room...... you could use a cable lock between the two and it would be an all or none kinda theft..... once you unbolted one side..... again just my $0.02

14. Marshfly

Marshfly I Love microskiff.com!

I don't get it. Does your garage not lock?

I've got so much expensive stuff in my garage it's not even funny. I hit the button on the wall and a big steel door rolls down and locks it all up at once. Don't all garages have doors?

15. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

That's what I was thinking.
    I have a goood friend that is in law enforcment and he told me a bunch of ways how theives break into garage doors in like 5 seconds flat. I made sure that won't happen..
    Go on youtube and search "how to break into a garage door"
    You will not believe how easy it is

16. chew

sorry for the long delay in reply.... I guess I should have made a little clearer picture. the base loops of pvc are mounted side by side to a base board of sorts..... the top set of pvc rings are set the same way..... so you can slide the top bar of rings down over all your rods at once. picture something like a gun rack in a cabinet.... but you can lock the parts together like a bike cable lock.....
    in the end if someone wants something and are willing to steal it... most likely they are going to get it! I just try to make it complicated and cumbersome as possible for them.