Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize topic has been discussed on individual model threads, but looking for more general ideas for large(r) skiff that can squeeze in 20 ft garage on a swing tongue trailer. I can’t cut out drywall or garage door (but I admire the spirit!)

Goal is to find longer skiff w fairly wide beam and center console jumpseat. Ride quality more important than very skinny draft.

Anyone have experience here? Thinking HB pro, mosquito, fury in 17-18’ but realize I may need to focus on 16-17’ range.

Thanks in advance
/Shrimp

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Mosquito may fit. If you are going to back it straight in. A 17 or 18 foot skiff will have to have sponsons if it is going even come close to fitting. Motor will add about two feet to the length in the down position. Even with a fold away tongue you’ll still have at least a foot, foot and a half for the winch stand in front of the bow eye.

Like you said, 16-17 feet is going to be more realistic.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
66 Posts
I keep my HB Biscayne in the garage- the skiff is 16’4” but with the motor it is exactly 18’ from the tip of the bow to the back of the cowling.

I have a Ramlin with a removable tongue- I had a swing tongue on my previous trailer, but over time grew worried about increasing play in the hinge-any fatigue or failure and the whole trailer is detached from the hitch, beyond the safety chains. Much prefer the removable.

The HB Professional is only a couple of inches longer (sponsons inset the motor) so if you have 20’, then you should be able to fit.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a 21' Egret that fits in my 19'5" deep garage even without a swing tongue. Of course, the garage is a 3-car garage at 29' feet wide and the garage door is 16' x 8'. It takes some skill and a single axle trailer to do it. The trailer does have a swing tongue that would free up another 2-3 feet in the garage but it's not needed once I get it in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for input to all. To clarify, this is single car slot where I’d have to back straight in, so not much angle to work with.

I realize a sponson boat is probably a must have, so trying to explore those models. There still seems to be huge range of what people claim will fit in 20 foot space. Can you typically gain space by cranking motor to one side when trim down?

What is difference between swing tongue and removable tongue?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2021 Hell’s Bay Marquesa being built, 2013 Hell’s Bay Marquesa sold, 2017 Ankona Shadowcast 18
102 Posts
My sponson Hell’s Bay Marquesa with removable tongue Ramlin fits in a 20‘5“ garage with room to spare. Removable tongue trailers eliminate anything forward of the bow so it is just a matter of overall boat length.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for input to all. To clarify, this is single car slot where I’d have to back straight in, so not much angle to work with.

I realize a sponson boat is probably a must have, so trying to explore those models. There still seems to be huge range of what people claim will fit in 20 foot space. Can you typically gain space by cranking motor to one side when trim down?

What is difference between swing tongue and removable tongue?

Cheers!
Yes, absolutely you can do exactly that. Trim all the way down as you get near the back wall and then turn her hard one way or the other. My garage is unfinished so i'm able to tuck the prop/skeg into the pocket between the studs. For me, It makes the difference between fitting or not.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
591 Posts
There is some variation in the effectiveness of a swing or removable trailer tongue. Egret has designed the best one I've seen. There is literally no trailer out in front of the bow of the boat when the trailer tongue is tucked to the side. I think they call it a zero tolerance swing tongue. In any case, that will buy you a few inches. If you have a single car garage, also be careful of width. Trailer wheel fenders and guide posts will add sometimes up to 18" to the width of the beam of the boat.

·
Registered
576 Posts
17' Tailfisher with 60 TLR fits in my garage (19'4") with room to spare. I have a couple inches on the bow side and almost 5" behind the boat.

Removable tongue.

I would be able to put a 4" jackplate on it without issue.

I installed 16" wide parking blocks so I can just back it in until it hits the stops.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here you go.
Clearance to the back wall.

Room Vehicle

Clearance for the door.
Ignore the poopy bags, it's hard to get the kids to open the garage door to throw them away.

See how I blamed that on them? :)

Machine Technology Vehicle Robot

The removable tongue on my Rolls Axle trailer.

Automotive tire Tire Auto part Vehicle Automotive wheel system

·
BBA Counselor
7,393 Posts
So it looks like some setups, like the egrets zero tolerance, have the winch in front of the swing tongue hinge. When I called Fulton a few years back when I wanted to do the they said not to, but I don't remember why. Anyone ever have an issue? I know my Fulton has a lot of play in it after 8 years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.