Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a T-7 on my main redfish fly rod. Really solid, yet light, with a smooth drag. Wish the reel handle/knob was a tad bigger. Otherwise, excellent reel for the price in my opinion.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
182 Posts
I have a Grip-8 and T-10. The both feel solid and have performed well. Very happy with both.

I have spoken with their customer service folks a few times and they have been very helpful. It's a small, family run business. Made in the USA. Excellent quality at a reasonable price compared to some of the more popular brands that spend more money on marketing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have T-8 and T-10. I recently started using the T-8 on a 6 wt Loomis CCGLX. Love that combo. I have also used the T-10 on my Helios 2 8wt. They are lightweight reels so you can always use a bigger one on a lighter rod. I originally bought the T-8 for the Helios2 and the T-10 for a spey rod.

Anyway, They've been used extensively in saltwater. Mostly casting from the beach which can be wet, salty and sandy. I rinse in the kitchen sink when I get home. No problems so far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find it interesting that I have had two flats guides in Belize mention my Galvans by name when I was on their boat. One said “Galvan huh” and I responded yeah “You like them” and he reached down in his bag and pulled out a torque nodding in approval! No mention of the other big brands on board such as Tibor, Nautilus, Orvis etc. The feeling I got was if guides are spending their own money on them for their personal fishing they are probably pretty solid.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for everyone's input.Nuff good things said to buy one.was not wanting to spend 700 + on a new reel,but not wanting to disrespect the exocett it will be paired with. Haha

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Like other have said... Galvan are underrated. They are very popular on the west coast, but do not get as much attention in the eastern US.

I have been using them for years, along with Tibors and Abels and use my Galvan reels 95% of the time.. Why? Simple... They work, have fantastic drags and are very light.

I have a the following:
Galvan T-6 on my 7wt
T-8 on 8wt
T-8 on 9wt
T-10 on 10wt
T-12 on 11wt
T-16 on 11wt
Abel Super 12 on 11wt
Abel Super 12x on 11wt

My "go to" tarpon reel is the T-12 & T-16 and they have never failed my yet. All the Galvans have butter smooth drags and are very durable.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Galvan if I needed a new reel. Definitely check them out. You will not be sorry..

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you
Like other have said... Galvan are underrated. They are very popular on the west coast, but do not get as much attention in the eastern US.

I have been using them for years, along with Tibors and Abels and use my Galvan reels 95% of the time.. Why? Simple... They work, have fantastic drags and are very light.

I have a the following:
Galvan T-6 on my 7wt
T-8 on 8wt
T-8 on 9wt
T-10 on 10wt
T-12 on 11wt
T-16 on 11wt
Abel Super 12 on 11wt
Abel Super 12x on 11wt

My "go to" tarpon reel is the T-12 & T-16 and they have never failed my yet. All the Galvans have butter smooth drags and are very durable.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Galvan if I needed a new reel. Definitely check them out. You will not be sorry..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great reel. I have had my T-8 for about 3 years and it works as good as the day I bought it. I thought I had an issue with the drag after fishing it very hard core with daily saltwater dunkings but all it needed was a little lube and started working like new again. I really like the weight of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
T-8 and a Rush Lite 6 The rush lite went mano a mano with a 22# carp and stalled two of the initial runs. Great Reels. I have Pates and Fin Nors, but these two are my Fav's

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a pair of Rush Lite 6's. I just picked them up this year so can't say allot about how they hold up in the salt. So far so good though. Beyond that I like the fit and finish and the drag seems very smooth. The R series seems substantial too me. I will say that they were HIGHLY rated in the Yellowstone 6 wt reel shootout. Good reviews on the T and R series there. Both ranked very high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts