Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have 2 old loomis GL2 rods and some of the wraps appear cloudy...white haze.....
I called loomis and got absolutely no help but did find out Shimano owns the company now.

Anyway, called Mudhole rod building supply.....and was advise to wipe the wraps down w/ isopropyl alcohol..........It worked looking much better...........

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mudhole seemed to think it has to w/ what is used (soap) to wash the rods off......old age works for......I will think 2x before I get a loomis...customer service used to be great...I am into that used to be mode:(

·
I Love microskiff.com!
427 Posts
It's the way everything seems to go now. Company creates a stellar product, gains a stellar reputation, sells it to another entity who tries to recover their outlay via cutting corners versus just accepting the profit/cash flow arising from the quality of the company they purchased. Those corners could be QA or customer service. In this case, both.

I hate to see this trend, it occurs over and over again. On the boating side, think Mako.

Hell Gary works for TFO. You can buy 3 of those rods for a GLoomis and feel better about it as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you need a gloomis rod replaced they are great if you use the expeditor service they offer . Small fee they ship a new rod same or next model up to you in a few days with return shipping pre paid for broken rod . No questions asked. I had two broken rods over 15 years old contacted them and paid around $100 for service and they sent me about $1200 in new rods.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good to know. Take extra careful precautions when you use your GL2! I owned 2, past tense. One broke in half during an “epic” battle with 16” redfish. Sent it into shimano, and they replaced it with an E6X. While the new one is a nice rod, It just doesn’t have the same fishy mojo my old GL2 had, R.I.P.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TFOs will be my next serious rod purchase...My old GL2s have been thru tarpon,cobia etc...still going strong w/ only one guide replacement.....no high sticking for me because that sound is sickening

·
Registered
2013 IPB14, 25YAMAHA
41 Posts
Anyone have a comparison between the tfo and st croix rods? I've been enjoying my avid but if the tfo is the same quality and maybe a little cheaper I may get that for the next one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.