Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,511 Posts
Not surprised. Not really upset about it either.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
We gotta protect our sport and resources. No one hear fishes to feed ourselves. We fish for the enjoyment of it, and maybe to take home a meal every once in a while. If something has to stop let it be the latter.
Plus if you just want to eat fish, going out and catching some sheephead, whiting or sand trout isn't all that hard.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,511 Posts
Maybe get enough folks pissed off enough to actually start to become activists against big sugar and bigger real estate? Root cause...
Or maybe all the carpet bagging yanks who come down here with no concept of catch n release and kill every fish they catch? Every time I bump into one at a ramp or on the water the first words out of their mouth are "Can you keep it? Is it good to eat?" When I talk to co-workers from up north they really, really struggle with the concept of catch and release. They're all a bunch of fresh water meat haulers who transfer that approach to the salt when they retire down here...

Or all our friends from "south of the border" who put everything they catch in a bucket and "no habla ingles" when you try to explain to them "snook are closed, you have to release it!" Our brackish ponds here are pretty much devoid of life now because they've been plundered by cast netters. Lots of small tarpon and snook killed in their pursuit of mullet and/or mojara. I watched a guy on Sunday sneak a underslot snook into his bucket and leave the area before FWC had a chance to get there...

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
I think that nail isn't as sharp as most think. I know plenty of local guys who poach, and practice fillet and release. They are just better at hiding it then the immigrants who fill their buckets. Until they increase enforcement and penalties nothing will change with them.
The closures are the best, and only viable solution the state has imo.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,511 Posts
I know plenty of local guys who poach, and practice fillet and release.
Most of the guys I fish and socialize with would be more likely to turn in a poacher than engage in poaching themselves. But then I spend alot of time with uppity catch-n-release fly folk.

·
Panhandler
2,725 Posts
Agree with the need for more enforcement and stricter penalties. But judicial re-alignment is equally important. FWC officers can make good cases with the possibility of serious repercussions. But when county judges refuse to follow guidelines or punish "good old boys," many often walk with no convictions or even fines.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts