Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2018 ETEC 60 in for service and they tried a couple of times to get me to add a fuel/water separator to my skiff. As such a simple mod, I certainly am reluctant to pay someone else to do this, but I'm not really sold on the fact that is is necessary...but glad to hear some debate on that position. I also kind of think that if this was such a necessary item to add that the folks at Ankona would either strongly recommend it or just include it in the build.

Now I do use pretty much exclusively Pure ZERO Ethanol gas in my portable 6.6 gal tank. I also use the boat at LEAST once a week and unless the weather really sucks more like 2-3 times in the winter and 4-5 times in the summer.

I think the risk of running water from the gas tank through the ETEC is very small, but if it did what would happen and would it do any permanent harm?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
131 Posts
I also use non ethanol. As long as you use non ethanol you are good to go, according to my mechanic. I have a 2018 30 hp tohotsu.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't have a water-fuel separator on my 6 gallon tank and 30 etec. Never a problem. Rec 90 only and when not in use the tank is in the garage.

·
Brandon, FL
10,541 Posts
I have been boating for 30 years and mowing grass even longer and have only had one incident and that was traced back to a low volume gas station purchase.

Do what you want but non ethanol is your friend not foe.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
It is cheap insurance. But I don’t run one. Been running an Etec since 06. Never a fuel issue. Do buy gas from a high volume seller and never bought from a marina. If boat sits, the gas gets drained and used in my truck.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,007 Posts
I just put a new one in mine! Cheap insurance and it's easy to maintain. I have a built in tank however.

·
BBA Counselor
7,064 Posts
I haven't used one in years, but I'll have one on my next boat!

I don't use rec90, I use regular ol 87 E10 and have so for the last 12 years or so. I have never had any issues. Went out on my skiff this morning, it's the first time it's been out since August! Fired right up. I always use either StarTron or Stabil marine, and again never had an issue. Even had E10 that was over a year old for the mower, works like new.

I feel to many guys have convinced themselves that E10 is the devil based on issues many of us had during the conversation years. If your running a boat that's less then a decade old, or atleast the fuel system is, and you have a motor less then a decade old, or again atleast the fuel system is, then E10 won't bother it much at all. Now if your tank and hoses are from the 80's then you are due for a refit anyway.

All that being said the math says we should all run a seperator/filter. One ruined fishing trip, one dirty tank of gas, one atmospheric leak to let water in..... will easily cost more then a $60 filter kit.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,141 Posts
I’m running one on my skiff, but not one the clear bowl as I’ve heard several stories about them cracking. I really don’t see any reason not to, but I am going to carry a double ended barb fitting and a couple extra clamps to bypass it if I have a problem.
Paranoia will destroy ya.
6 years combined on the Moeller ClearSite on my last boat and my current one. I don’t see how anyone could crack a thick polycarbonate bowl like these. Don’t overtighten the thumb screw on the drain. It’s for fingers, not channel locks.
https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Separating-Filter-System-Aluminum/dp/B000MTB6XY

·
I Love microskiff.com!
394 Posts
I run a Racor and honestly have drained it twice with zero water in it! I also fill up on non-E even if it’s sitting in the garage condensation in the tank will cause water as well if it’s not full!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
394 Posts
I run a dehumidifier in my garage too helps keep all my gear dry and mold free! Keeps the garage nice and cool during the summer too!

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
812 Posts
Zero chance I’d run without a fuel/water separator.

B

·
0 Posts
Ok, here are my two pennies...
While the fine folks at Ankona may not have strongly reccomended one, EVERY engine manufacturer does strongly reccomend a fuel water separator be installed between the tank and motor. I am willing to bet that Ankona does have it as an option. Also, I am not sure if they have certified techs on staff or not so I wouldn’t necessarily say they “should” know that the engine manufacturers want them on there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I use non ethanol gas and have a fuel water separator. As others have said it is cheap insurance and once you installed it you only have to buy a $11 to $20 filter once a year. I do trips in the Everglades and other places where you don't see another boat all day so for me it brings peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts