FUEL WATER/SEPARATOR

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by LIABILITYJ@AOL.COM, Oct 12, 2012.

1. LIABILITYJ@AOL.COM

LIABILITYJ@AOL.COM I Love microskiff.com!

Want to replace my factory installed Yamaha fuel filter with a quality fuel/ water separator. What are your opinions?

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

If your talking about the filter in the boat (blue), then it is a fuel water separator.
    Replace with another yamaha.
    Problem with te cheapos is that a yamaha is 10 micron and the cheapos are about 60.
    Racors are 40 (depending on model), but dont have as much filter element.

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I have been using $70 Racor filters with water separation for a long time. One that I now use on a 22'2" Aquasport. came on an 87 Dusky. The 10 micron filter cartridges cost less than $30 and I change them about once every 2 or 3 years.
    http://www.racorfilter.com/online/

Frank

4. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

5. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

That's a little long for my liking , I do my personal one's every 6 months. I recommend customers to do there's 1/year Minimum. Cheap Insurance!

6. whatsgoodwitcha

whatsgoodwitcha I Love microskiff.com!

i would use a Racor fuel/water sep on board and continue to use the secondary that most outboards have under the cowl. Never had any problems with my 60 merc, 125 merc or 15 yamaha. if you are using pump gas then remember to use a product like starbrite startron or some kind of fuel stabilizer. hope this helps.

7. cor21e

cor21e I Love microskiff.com!

This is the one i just installed. Best one in my opinion. Dont know why the whole industry hasnt gone to this???
    If the link doesnt pop up search ebay.

End time: Nov 18, 2012 6:13:58 AM PST

View item:
    MARPAC MARINE QUICK VIEW FUEL/WATER FILTER SYSTEM 10 MICRON E-10 & E-85, 7-6862

Sent from my iPhone

8. cor21e

cor21e I Love microskiff.com!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290732337957

9. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I just got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Water-Separating-Filter-Bonus/dp/B000MTCQM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352946239&sr=8-2&keywords=fuel+filter+separator

it comes with two filters. Even though it doesnt have the fancy lower clear draining unit, I can blindly replace filters every season for next to nothing.

10. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

just poor the water out and you are good to go

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

While you are going through the expense and work of installing the additional filter/separator,
    check the o-ring/seal on your fill cap, and the clamp(s) tightness on the hose from the filler to the tank.
    Filler seals get dirty/split/crack and allow water to enter the fuel tank during washdowns and submersion.
    Hose clamps lose tension over time due to compression of the underlying hose, need tightening.
    Won't do any good to install a filter and fail to prevent water from entering the fuel system in the first place.
    Those filler seals rarely get inspected and yet are made of soft neoprene that is subject to wear and tear
    just like everything else on a boat. O-rings are inexpensive and easy to replace.

For portable tanks with the cap/gauge/vent, I recommend a protective cover.
    Easy to make and install...cheap, simple and it works.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bdefalco/VentCover

12. samay

samay Saltwater Soul

Brett, that looks like a great idea. Is there a hole in the jar anywhere, or just a hole in the lid?