Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

So I have a 2006 Release Classic 15 I bought about a month ago. I am getting a new Tohatsu 60 outboard installed later this week. The skiff has the fuel tank in the hull near the bow with fuel lines running out to the motor in the rear. At the back, on the transom there looks to be a large fuel filter. How can I tell the fuel in the tank is good or bad, any issues? How to clean out if needed?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Just change it out and be done with it. Cheap insurance.

Hey folks,

So I have a 2006 Release Classic 15 I bought about a month ago. I am getting a new Tohatsu 60 outboard installed later this week. The skiff has the fuel tank in the hull near the bow with fuel lines running out to the motor in the rear. At the back, on the transom there looks to be a large fuel filter. How can I tell the fuel is good or bad, any issues? How to clean out if needed?

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ok, guess I misread your post. Seemed you were referring to the fuel filter.
Unless you remove the tank....
You could siphon the old gas out, and replace the fuel filter.

Here’s where my tank is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, guess I misread your post. Seemed you were referring to the fuel filter.
Unless you remove the tank....
You could siphon the old gas out, and replace the fuel filter.
I should have been clear. I figure I could Change the filter. My real concern is if fuel has sat there a long time or if turned to water.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
syphon some out and put it in a glass jar and look for water under the gas. if its pump gas with ethanol and it sat more than a few months it's bad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
syphon some out and put it in a glass jar and look for water under the gas. if its pump gas with ethanol and it sat more than a few months it's bad.
Ok, good to know. If it’s bad, just siphon the rest out and fill’er up with good?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I would also install a full size fuel filter/water separator in the stern near the outboard. if it already has one then put an new filter in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it’s got a large fuel filter at the transom. Is that what you’re talking about?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Yes, pull some of the fuel out into a glass jar and let it sit for a few minutes - if you see any water in it (it will collect at the bottom) you know you've got troubles. Next pull the fuel filter (they usually un-screw) then dump the contents of the filter into an empty glass container again allow it to settle then check it out for debris, water, or other contaminants. This will allow you to see exactly what your current situation is as far as fuel goes. Lastly it's a very good idea to siphon out all of the old fuel from that tank and simply replace it with fresh gas... I was told almost forty years ago that modern gasoline isn't very stable and actually begins to break down chemically in about 30 days... That's just one of the reasons why running an outboard regularly is a good idea... Something like Stabil or other fuel additive is made specifically for fuel tanks that are going to be sitting with fuel for a few months between uses...

Back to that fuel filter again... If you see any small bits of rubber (actually the inside of your fuel line...) then you've got other troubles. Older fuel lines (particularly cheap fuel lines) can be destroyed by gasoline that has any alcohol in it... If you find the slightest sign that that's been going on remove every bit of fuel line and replace it with USCG alcohol rated line. The good fuel lines aren't hard to find - most decent marine hardware stores stock them - and every line with have the rating printed right on it every two feet "USCG RATED, TYPE......" etc. Always avoid fuel lines from big box stores that are completely un-marked since you won't know what you're getting...

Good luck, "aren't boats fun?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts