Fuel issue!!!!

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Weedy, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Ran into the same problem as TomFl did a few months ago. I haven't been able to go out in the boat for about 5-6 months, well, that came around to bite me in the arse!! I run 93 octane with merc TCW3 oil, 50:1. This is what I found in the filter and fuel line:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I decided to cut 9 inches off my fuel line and split it open (by the way, that is a mercury oem fuel line)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (All that came from a small section of hose)

This is the killer part! The government expects the top 3 to build cars that will run longer on less fuel! However, the crap that came out of the fuel line will not burn :eek:! It started to melt like plastic does when you burn it, but it would never flame up and burn!
    [​IMG]

How do they expect the motors to run when the crap won't even burn over a flame! I guess this is where obama is creating jobs, Marine Mechanics! However, the average Joe that lets his boat sit on the side of his house or at the marina can't afford to pay the repair bill!

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

That's scary weedy.  When did Mercury Marine start selling attwood type fuel lines?
    My fuel line assembly is 9 years old and is the old solid black OEM line.
    and doesn't show any of that type of deterioration.

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Based on the pictures it looks like Ethanol is removing the varnish from your fuel lines (amber colored material) I have said this time and time again... If you have to run Ethanol treat your fuel for that exact reason. Good luck with that mess... let us know how it works out. I've "been there - done that" it's no fun!

Cheers

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Jan, that's actually the inner liner of that type of fuel line.
    Soft gray exterior, no woven reinforcing, with an internal hard plastic liner.
    That hard liner carries the actual fuel through the line. That internal liner
    gets brittle and breaks into shards that are carried into the engine
    unless caught by a filter.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

This is type A1 marine fuel line.
    Much more durable with woven reinforcing.
    Recommended for E10 fuel.

6. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

thats the reason i run my motors at least  every other week :eek: i am afraid of what might happen if they sit any longer  ;D

7. jimbarn1961

jimbarn1961 GOT FEESH?

Brett,

Got a recommendation where to get the good quality line you are displaying and picturing?? our new used :) skiff has the old grey lines in and now I'm freaked and wanna get it out.

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1256514365

Check your local marine repair shop also,
    they probably keep a roll on hand, and sell by the foot.
    Or you can buy prepackaged OEM assemblies
    that are composed of the type A1 lines.
    Like these Mercury-Tohatsu-Nissan lines.

http://www.nissanmarine.com/accessories/fuel_tanks.html

9. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Brett, As far baack as I can remember while at Action Craft, every merc that came from the factory had that fuel line packed in the crate. We always ran good quality fuel line in the boats and never used the factory fuel lines. When I was building the gheenoe, I went to the shop and got some from AC and used it. The motor came with a fuel line also, but I just used the grey merc line from AC. I did just get some seirra fuel line with the reinforcing, dang there is a mark up on marine parts!!!!!!!!!!
    Pulled the carb off today and it was full of all kinds of CRAP!!!! Cleaned her up and now she will only idle with the choke/primer (I know it's not the choke, but it reminds me of one) knob on the front of the motor. Put new plugs in her and still nothing. Hopefully gonna try and run her tommorrow and see if I can burn the rest of the crap thru, otherwise, time for the shope :mad:!!!!!!

10. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Weedy, it's amazing how that stuff causes all kinds of problems, eh?

I'm sure the A1 line would help for the tank to motor line issues, but I wonder what's going on inside all our motors!!

-T

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Under cowling fuel lines must be high pressure, high temperature
    solvent resistant lines per requirements of USCG regulations.
    But, older engines have gaskets and seals that aren't rated for E10.
    That's where some serous trouble can happen.

:'(

12. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Hey Weedy, just a thought, but consider getting your fuel at a marina with no E10 in it.

Even at $3.40 a gallon, it's a steal if you let your boat sit, as the E10 fuel will be useless in a few weeks, where the "old" style, pure gas will be fine.

Plus micros don't use much fuel.

-T

13. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Yea, I just found two places out here in Pine Island that sells non-E10 fuel. Both places are way out of the way, however, after all the BULL@&*T I'm going thru, it will be worth it in the future!!!!!!!!!!

Took the carb off saturday and cleaned it up, well, it won't run at ideal at ALL. No top end and hits on #2 cylinder sometimes (fuel issue, fouling out the plug)! DANG I'm pissed!!!!!!! A buddy told me of a spot were he went on saturday and it was like catching fish in a barrel. Keeper snook, keeper reds and they were jumpin in the boat! I hope everyone else had a better day on the water than me.

PS, Brett need a drawing of a 05' merc 25 2-smoker carb, any ideas??? Also, a good place on line for merc parts.

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/11407/110.cfm

I think that's the right one

15. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

That splains it... I don't use those types of fuel lines. I was looking at the hoses I have on my skiff and they are custom made from tank to motor.

16. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Thank you sir! [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif]

17. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I have heard the same symtems from other merc owners ...

my honda has an interesting fuel issue squeeze the ball and it floods out ...

Needle and seat on its way ...

(spell checker says no mis spellings :D somthin aint right )

Dave

18. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Weedy, how did you ever make out with this issue???

-T

19. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

6 weeks then Use it up !

You have a leak some where ! ... I Did ... I fixed it ... Gave the tank away ... New tank No Gage No problem ...

Dave

20. bodenhamerb

bodenhamerb Well-Known Member

i had the same problem, its all ethanol literly melts the tank breaks down your fuel line and kills the engine, i would just run it on a new portable tank to clean it out in idle for a few gallons, oh yea the only fix is to get a new tank and completely new lines....that includes the ones inside the engine [smiley=1-headache.gif]