Fuel additives/stabilizers

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by phishphood, Jan 8, 2010.

1. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

I see several brands out there, so who uses what? It looks hard to avoid the E10 stuff, so I'm looking for recommendations. Thx

2. JaredFacemyer

JaredFacemyer Well-Known Member

I use stabil and havent had any problems. But I run through a tank of gas pretty fast and dont leave gas sitting for more than a few weeks.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I picked up seafoam a while back and it's been doing it's job. I usually only fill my tank maybe once every 6 weeks and haven't noticed any seperation.

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I drain mine after every use and put it in the truck. It uses way more gas than my outboard.

5. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and buy some real gas at a marina with no "E" in it.

Cheaper than dealing with engine hassles, buying sta-bil, fixing carbs, etc.

-T

6. phishphood

That's where I'm in trouble. There's no convenient marina in any of the places I fish to do that and I'm going to an 18 gallon tank that won't always get run dry. That' why I'm looking for advice on a Stabil or Sentry type product. I'll have a fuel/water seperator on the boat also, but I've heard an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A pound of outboard cure gets pretty costly these days. :)

7. captnron

captnron Guest

I'm using Sentry.

What motor did you end up with?

8. phishphood

Gonna be running a 70 yamaha 2-stroke.

9. captnron

captnron Guest

Pretty forgiving motor IMHO. :cool:

10. phishphood

I've heard lots of good things about them. Looking forward to breaking it in.