FS Forums Feeling The Heat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by paint it black, Jun 3, 2009.

1. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

After months and months of having a Microskiff.com logo on my signature on FS forums, they decided to take it off my sig. They sent me an I.M. saying that one cannot have any links to a competitors website. I don't really understand. It's nearly been a year since it had been on there. They had never said anything about it. And I think the two sites are two completely different continents in the wide world of fishing. FS Forums are more of a basic forum to post reports, and get advice on problems from hundreds of people. As where this is more of a tight knit group of individuals that focus on a certain community within the world of boating and fishing. There are far more resources here strictly for small boats. Where as the FS Forums are largely offshore stuff. I just think it's a completely different market than they have going on over there. I understand that it is their website to do with they choose, but I just found that funny that after SO long, they decide to do something about it now. ;D

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

It's their playground... you have to abide by their rules...

With that being said it's not 1999 and despite what their "guru's" might think folks frequent more than one forum these days. I am member #15 of the current version of their software. The version before this (server fire) I was member #5. Before that it was a BBS and I was a member on that. I found it ironic a "mod" was telling me the rules... heck I helped to set the framework of the rules for FS a decade ago. :D

I fear not competition. Feel free to link however you want here. I just ask you keep it family friendly. If our going to link to a post on another site like Custom Gheenoe I just ask you put the content into your post here. Have a blog? Post it in your sig!

Now for the funny part, a few months ago I had a rep from FS talk to me about sharing content from their site to mine and vise versa... :D hum... should I?

3. paint it black

I'm a member of over 10 different forums. At least half of those are fishing/boating related.

custom gheenoe
    microskiff
    florida sportsman
    bateau
    fish north bay
    duck hunting chat
    inshore-fishing
    iboats
    s10forums
    s10forum
    layitlow
    floridatruckscene
    warbeats
    motorizedbicycle
    marlinsbaseball
    tealandblack
    GNforums

And those are only the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure I have accounts to other forums that I don't visit too frequently.

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

again it's their playground... abide by their rules...

5. paint it black

Yeah I know. I asked them if I can put an add to my page and they said sure, as long as it's not a competitor website. So I have a small banner to my page now on there.

6. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Must resist the urge to say.....

:-X

7. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of changes going on with the web management over at FS lately. I don't really pay that much attention to anything other than the fishing reports, but I think it was Eric Wickstrom who ran things for years, but was released a few months ago. Then they attempted that server migration, so they may be trying to revamp a lot of things, including the rules.

I don't know...doesn't seem like microskiff is exactly a competitor? Where's the magazine and TV show? Maybe they're just looking at internet-based advertising dollars and trying to protect that. ::)

Although I am a member of quite a few fishing forums, I've pretty much limited the majority of my posting to microskiff.com and FS, in that order. These are the forums where people read and respond to your comments, question and reports. Most others just earn you a goose egg for your trouble. :(