Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know of worthy local, Ft. Lauderdale, area youth type groups I could donate some fishing tackle to ?

Due to my declining health I'll likely not be fishing for a while, perhaps a long while. Like many when I get new stuff my old stuff is generally still in pretty good condition but stays with me. Well the garage is loaded and I think its time.

Not looking to get rid of old wallyworld junk... but do have several outfits that could use a good home.

This is mostly name brand quality spinning tackle used for fresh water bass and/or inshore salty fishing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
607 Posts
Sorry to hear about your health issues. That has to be tough.

Not affiliated with this club and don't know anything about them, but it looks like a worthy cause. Not sure if your health would allow it but it might be neat to accept applications in conjunction with the club (write a short story or essay expressing your passion for fishing or something) and give the gear to the most worthy individual(s). That would allow you to maybe get a little bit out of it rather than just donating your stuff and never knowing what happened to it.

http://www.bassfishingkids.com/about-us.html

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Maybe it would be better to sell and donate funds or purchase a bunch of similar rods/reels you could then donate. Tackle might be of less use. 20 ok Walmart outfits and some hooks and bobbers could make for a fun day for many kids.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That Bass fishin for Kids is a good idea.. but not really the kind of thing I was looking for, although I'll contact them.

My son fished that tournament trail for a few years.. we used a tandem canoe with electric trolling motor and had a blast... parent not allowed to fish, and no gas power motors allowed.
There were not a lot of under-privledged kids involved back then. There was on guy who was a bass trail fisherman with a full blown sparkle bass boat full of stickers who fished with his son and if he could get that boat launched he used it, other times he had a jon-boat with troller.
My kid concentrated on Peacock bass and killed it, long before most people knew how to catch them.. they were allowed as entries.
Hardest part when paddling or using a trolling motor was keeping the fish alive for the weigh in.. had a makeshift DIY cooler with an overflow hose and the bucket briggade method to keep water flowing.

Bob Newell was in charge of of back then.... fished different parks like CB Smith, Tradewinds, Quietwaters...

If I go to the trouble of inventory, advertising, and selling the stuff it will go towards my surgeries... really looking to trim down so others might not have to deal with it if things go south. The newer good stuff I'll give to my son.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.