Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Kudos for you trying to locate the owner! Good karma comin’ your way!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Man, starting to look like folks are storing their poles backwards!
Which way is backwards? I’ve owned flats boats since the early 80s. I’ve had a Maverick, Wind River Skiff, and my Hewes Redfisher (since 1995). Always towed and ran with the pointy end forward. Never lost a pole with thousands of miles towing, and thousands of hours running.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Which way is backwards? I’ve owned flats boats since the early 80s. I’ve had a Maverick, Wind River Skiff, and my Hewes Redfisher (since 1995). Always towed and ran with the pointy end forward. Never lost a pole with thousands of miles towing, and thousands of hours running.
I prefer the fork forward, some have better luck than others but with the fork forward it won’t grab in the water and pull out.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fork forward is the low risk correct way to store. If your pole is stiff, bent significantly in the holders or snug in the holders unlikely to matter. Hit a big wake and the fork end gets caught it can pull the pole right off the boat. Or a limb in a creek.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,101 Posts
Fork forward...had one ripped right out of the back of the boat when I was running my 181...crossed a wake and saw a flash of white out of the corner of my eye and it was gone...luckily it floated and I was able to circle back around and grab it...

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I picked up my Hewes from Joel’s in Ft. Laud. The pole was almost straight in the holders. My first trip to Flamingo it popped out several times. I went to the moonlighter web page and their mounting instructions said to install the front and mid holder, put the push pole on and put a bend in the pole until you feel it “push back” , Mark that spot and install the third holder there. I did that and never had a problem again in 25 years of running that boat. I don’t leave the pole on the boat when not in use, I don’t know if it would take a set.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
All good posts. I don't see a negative to fork forward so I'm thinking why not. Plus Flip said it. :D

Some will say if you stuff the bow at speed with the fork forward "bad things" can happen. I always had mine fork forward though.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,089 Posts
Some will say if you stuff the bow at speed with the fork forward "bad things" can happen. I always had mine fork forward though.
I heard if you stuff the bow at speed all kinds of bad things definitely happen:D LOL

Fork fwd for me, although the only push pole I've lost was point fwd and only clipped in the pole caddy on the platform, when I had an ADHD moment decided to forget it and make a run across the bay in rough water....
she gone.jpg

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,194 Posts
Poles will take a set or permanent bend if they are stored under tension for extended periods.

My V Marine spool holders have slots for bungees. Have gotten into the habit whenever moving of clipping at least the center one to make sure the pole stays put.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I've lost poles on the road and on the water... Very bad feeling when you get where you're going and realize that pushpole didn't make it with you... These days before I head down the road each of my old Moonlighter clips has an auxiliary bungee cord wrapped over the pole and clipped into place.. At least I'm trying...

Good stuff to anyone finding a pole and trying to find it's owner...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts