Forum Crash on 5/29/2008

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by admin, May 29, 2008.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

As most of you know we encountered some problems this morning that took the forum down. Instead of just fixing the issue I went ahead and upgraded to the latest version of the forum software that we use here at microskiff.com. This was an important update since we were 2 versions behind.

Thank you for waiting while I restored the forum and delt with the upgrade challenges. If you see any strange behavior or have a problem please send a PM to the forum admin account or email admin@microskiff.com.

Thanks,

Tom

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Time for a beer [smiley=chicken.gif]

3. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Haven't had time to poke around and figure out everything different, but it looks great so far!   [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif] Thanks...

4. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

:) Thanks To all Who make This Possible !!! :)

Dave

5. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

As always, thanks Tom, your doing a great job [smiley=1-beer.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif]
    Weedy

6. marshman

marshman just try to follow me....i dare ya...

awesome....

[smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif] [smiley=cool2.gif] [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=dancing-smilie.gif] [smiley=dancing3.gif] [smiley=1-dancingchief.gif]

[smiley=z-respect.gif]

7. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

bout freaking time... [smiley=bitchslap.gif]

8. captnron

captnron Guest

I'll buy [smiley=1-beer.gif] [smiley=1-beer.gif]

Great Work Tom. Thanks for taking the "time out" and using the opportunity to make it better. :cool:

24 hours and restored moe betta. [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif] Don't get better than that.

Looks like minimal loss although we did lose the "thread about nothing" ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. admin

Known issues are:

Missing preview button in personal messages.

Missing graphic for forward button in personal messages

ALT+P shortcut for preview personal message drafts not working.

10. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

Someone say BEER! [smiley=40s.gif]

11. marshman

is the board slower now?? or is it just my computer?? anybody notice?? my speed seems to be fine elsewhere....

i have satelite internet(s-u-c-k-s grammaw toes !!!!)...so its hard to tell sometimes...the speed with satelite internet varies

12. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Thank you Tom for all that you do...

13. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I did not keep any performance metrics in the past. I will say that response times seem acceptable for me. If you have a very slow connection like dial-up or satellite then you may notice it being a bit slower. Let me know what you see.

Thanks,

Tom

14. marshman

it might be ok...its not as slow as dialup...i dont htink so, anyway...its been a few years since ive had dialup, not sure i remember how slow or fast it was...

it just seems a little slower than normal...like it wants to hangup, and then pops up ....might just be on my end...i only brought it up, because the forum is different, and everywhere else i visit is the same, and the froum is the only one i notice being slower...

15. admin

Problem with Forgotten Password function has been fixed. Thanks to everyone who pointed it out. Especially those of you who registered a 2nd account to contact me ;D

16. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

New set up looks GREAT....Thanks !!!! Dave

( I thought CR blew it up when I saw all his posts said Ex-Member)
    :D :D ;D ;D

17. marshman

i figured it was "the post about nothing" that blew up the forum...that was the last thing i had seen...when i woke up the forum was down...lol

18. admin

Ok I have researched this and it appears that the new forum version may be the cause of this issue. I am talking to the developers now but it appears that they think its a "feature". Specifically its the function that allows the forum to show what search engines are online. It does this by doing a DNS query on every IP address that makes a request :mad: The problem happens when a user has an unusual Internet service provider who does not create a DNS entry for each user who is online. If this is happening to you you will see a 10 or 15 second delay and then suddenly wham! the page loads.

I am not the first person to bring this up. Hopefully the developers will address it or I am going to have to get my hands dirty and start modifying the code. This is not a trivial fix so it might take me a while.

I apoligize for the problem and I will get you an update as soon as possible.

19. admin

So I just hacked the forum software and removed what I think to be the offending code. Nobody will probably notice but it no longer reports what search engines are online. Trust me its not important.

Let me know if you are still have delay issues.

Thanks!

20. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

U l33t haxor... ;D