For the fish in LA and the reds just jump in your boat crowd

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by ifsteve, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Fished Friday, Sunday, and Monday. Conditions were great. Some sun, warm, and not too windy.

Friday - Two anglers, two bull reds.
    Sunday - Two anglers, one bull red, one black.
    Monday - Two anglers, blanked

Yup couldn't keep the dang fish out of the boat. Took me hours to clean all the flsh slime off the deck.....LOL

Oh and for the next four or five days its going to be unfishable and I suspect the great water clarity is shot to hell.

abgautier, lsunoe, E-money and 2 others like this.
  2. brianBFD

brianBFD Active Member

Where in LA are you fishing?

3. ifsteve

In the water.....

4. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

Were you in my boat on Sunday? Same story for us. One big fish. Lots of misses early from the fog and clouds, and when it cleared we had some refusals before finally hooking up. The black drum went into the ice chest.

This was his first right proper bull redfish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sjrobin and yobata like this.
  5. ifsteve

I don't think we even saw two dozen reds total in three days on the water.

6. Ruddy Duck LA

Ruddy Duck LA Active Member

I seriously love this. There should be a running report thread on bad LA trips.

Sunday, I took my 13 year old and his friend to the marsh. They threw spinning rods all day.

One red hooked and lost.

One red hooked and broke off.

One small trout landed.

The only other skiffs I saw had AL and FL numbers. I talked to two groups and both got skunked. Assuming they have access to the internet, they likely had higher expectations of their trips. It's all roses around here according to people that don't actually live with our fishery year round.

My buddy that guides got two.

Caleb.Esparza, flysalt060 and ifsteve like this.
  7. brianBFD

brianBFD Active Member

As if I were trying to potlick a skunk spot.....

8. jmrodandgun

One bad day, does not a skunk spot make.

ifsteve likes this.
  9. Financekid1

Financekid1 I Love microskiff.com!

Dang...thats too bad. We just got back from Louisiana last week and the fish were jumping in the boat.

paint it black likes this.
  10. brianBFD

brianBFD Active Member

Really?

11. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

LA is the most hot and cold place I've ever fished. It can be really tough / impossible or "jumping in the boat". I've had more trips to LA that resembled the former rather than the latter, unfortunately over last few years.

Caleb.Esparza likes this.
  12. mightyrime

mightyrime Well-Known Member

I leave for a 3 day trip tomorrow. Looks like the cold front on Friday will probably force a cancellation for the day. Fingers crossed for clear skies and sun on Saturday and Sunday. Last year my trip was fully cancelled due to weather. Year before was amazing as you can see from the picture in my icon.

sjrobin and jmrodandgun like this.
  13. lsunoe

lsunoe Well-Known Member

This weekend was decent on one side of the river and very poor on the other. I love how people think every trip is double digit redfish and nonstop action, when in reality that is not the case.

Caleb.Esparza and ifsteve like this.
  14. ifsteve

Suspect you will get cancelled Friday.
    Saturday and Sunday should have some sun but still cold and breezy. Sunday might warm enough to get fish active. Sure your guide will have a handle on things but might be looking in the ponds especially Saturday. Sun though might be strong enough to warm up the mud flats to get some big girls happy. Good luck and make sure to let us know how you do!!

sjrobin, WillW and jmrodandgun like this.
  15. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

yea, my trip this year got cancelled all together. hoping to rebook in january but work schedule is not helping

16. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

The delta has more options than Texas bays when conditions are not good. And a lot more redfish swim in the delta.

17. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I’m wading in the morning and big trout are going to jump in my hands. 34 degrees with sleet/snow mix

18. WillW

WillW I Love microskiff.com!

Headed over to La this wkend to chase some on fly. Have done the same wkend & same gear every year for 7 years. Some trips have been great & some were pretty big turds. This particular one could go either way but I'm hopeful. Have a pretty solid plan we'll see how well it plays out.

sjrobin and jmrodandgun like this.
  19. jmrodandgun

If you're crafty, Sunday has the potential to be a pretty good day.

ifsteve likes this.
  20. Nway93

Nway93 Well-Known Member

I went first weekend in November this year, wasn't fish jumping in the boat but had it's moments. Each day we caught multiple big fish, seemed like during the last bit of the outgoing they floated and ate anything they saw. For 2-3hrs each day it was wide open then got tough. Fished 3 days and caught 9 bulls, 5 big drum, and a handful of 10-15lb reds. Other boat we went with had about the same experience except they got there a day ahead of us and crushed them that day then had a guide camp on the spot the rest of the trip. Looking to go back late January or February though.