1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2C9C9192-CDA1-46BB-AD46-1AA4DDFDCD4C.jpeg
A263E0BB-A217-4C71-B132-8E5ABE606C82.jpeg
A4FD4C1F-3AA8-457B-A4C7-3B7FD662CAB1.jpeg
Hey Y’all. I was an owner of a vintage microskiff, 1971 Kennedy Kraft 13’, but I’ve recently sold and graduated up to just outside of the microskiff size. I wanted to share since I was able to find another vintage skiff in Texas that’s pretty rare.
Recently bought hull #35 of less than 100, Mako Backcountry 18. Got a cool article with the purchase explaining how these things were built for both the bass and bone fisherman. Talk about storage. 15 hatches. Bait well, 3 live wells, 6 rod holders. Fold up seats. Should do well on the Texas coast as well as the lakes. I have a few mods in mind.
Let me know what y’all think.
Thanks

Now for sale! I need something suited for river/coast use. Want a Towee jet.

Asking $9k.
512-999-2666

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
First ever boat where you lie down to operate it? Where do you sit? I assume a hatch reveals a seat? Interesting boat. Check out those tabs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First ever boat where you lie down to operate it? Where do you sit? I assume a hatch reveals a seat? Interesting boat. Check out those tabs.
There are three hatches right behind the side console that fold up with padded cushions on the bottom of the hatch and “cockpit” for your legs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Coal boat and very ahead of its time. Saw it on CL and looked like a very reasonable price too. Congrats on the new sled!

Going to stick with the 2 stroke for a while? Seems like a 140 zuke would be a good option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coal boat and very ahead of its time. Saw it on CL and looked like a very reasonable price too. Congrats on the new sled!

Thanks! Going to stick with the 2 stroke for a while? Seems like a 140 zuke would be a good option.
I will keep that motor through the winter. I will probably repower, but I am undecided. I was considering a 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Not sure if the boat needs more than 115 on it.
I have yet to take it out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That was originally called the "Perdue Edition" as I believe Pete Purdue from the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo had input to its layout. There were a few of them down in the Keys in the 70's. Very heavy boat to pole but had a great ride back in the day. I think it's going to take more than a 90hp to have it perorm well.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
As noted by Mitch, the earliest versions of that boat were by Perdue-Dean. They started with a Mako hull in the early to mid seventies and did a custom interior. When Perdue-Dean quit doing them, a few years later Mako came out with the version you have. Really interesting rig but quite heavy for a boat meant for flats fishing.

Now that much, much better trolling motors are available that should be a fishing machine in three feet of water ... or more, inshore.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
546 Posts
I started my flats skiff career finishing off one of these hulls that Hal Chittum and Capt. Eddie Wightman had acquired to build as one off skiffs. The guy that made the one off decks bailed out on the job and Hal hired me to finish the job on his hull. You can see the photos of it on my blog Chris Morejohn blog spot under Early days of HB history and my old shop photos of boats. This was 1982-83.
The hulls had heavy all wood stringers and everything was cored or built with glassed over plywood.
Finished before rigging Hal’s boat weighed a Ton. I just had to finish the glass work and awlgrip paint and fair the top sides. After I finished I told Hal that I could build a skiff like this but in all core which was unheard of then in the powerboat world. Within 3 months I was building new hulls from my modified design of the Mako hull which weighed just under 750 lbs. this was early 1983. I named my new company BACK BAY BOATS and bought property in Tavernier in Key largo and ended up building 18 one-off designs over the next 4 years before I sold out and went sailing for a few years.
Now look at where we are.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
One of the guys in my fishing club had one of those Perdue-Dean skiffs in the mid seventies... It was like fishing off of a dock (that stable - but you sure wouldn’t want to pole one except to get up onto the edge of a flat...). In those days you could chum up big bonefish along the edge of most any channel south of Key Biscayne in about twenty minutes on a moving tide...

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I started my flats skiff career finishing off one of these hulls that Hal Chittum and Capt. Eddie Wightman had acquired to build as one off skiffs. The guy that made the one off decks bailed out on the job and Hal hired me to finish the job on his hull. You can see the photos of it on my blog Chris Morejohn blog spot under Early days of HB history and my old shop photos of boats. This was 1982-83.
The hulls had heavy all wood stringers and everything was cored or built with glassed over plywood.
Finished before rigging Hal’s boat weighed a Ton. I just had to finish the glass work and awlgrip paint and fair the top sides. After I finished I told Hal that I could build a skiff like this but in all core which was unheard of then in the powerboat world. Within 3 months I was building new hulls from my modified design of the Mako hull which weighed just under 750 lbs. this was early 1983. I named my new company BACK BAY BOATS and bought property in Tavernier in Key largo and ended up building 18 one-off designs over the next 4 years before I sold out and went sailing for a few years.
Now look at where we are.
Man I would love to see one of your old back bay skiff pics.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
View attachment 90370 View attachment 90372 View attachment 90368 Hey Y’all. I was an owner of a vintage microskiff, 1971 Kennedy Kraft 13’, but I’ve recently sold and graduated up to just outside of the microskiff size. I wanted to share since I was able to find another vintage skiff in Texas that’s pretty rare.
Recently bought hull #35 of less than 100, Mako Backcountry 18. Got a cool article with the purchase explaining how these things were built for both the bass and bone fisherman. Talk about storage. 15 hatches. Bait well, 3 live wells, 6 rod holders. Fold up seats. Should do well on the Texas coast as well as the lakes. I have a few mods in mind.
Let me know what y’all think.
Thanks
that's a nice casting deck and looks like it might be hard to swamp. do all the compartments have gutter drains?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
don't try a 90. I have a 94 SilverKing 16 with a 90 and while its ok but not fast on my boat it would be way under powered on yours.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I will keep that motor through the winter. I will probably repower, but I am undecided. I was considering a 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Not sure if the boat needs more than 115 on it.
I have yet to take it out.
That OMC should run as long as you feel like maintaining it and is easy to work on yourself.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts