For all you bike nuts out there

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TomFL, Jun 30, 2010.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I broke the frame on my Madone. Freak accident, 40 miles from home, stranded.

This is my new ride. Full aero tubing, internal cable routing on the frame and the new ultegra grouppo. It's much stiffer and, I think, faster than the madone ever was. She certainly carves turns a whole lot better to boot. Really liking it more and more every time I ride it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stickers on the top tube in support of Mom, and cancer research, ala Lance and his livestrong foundation:
    [​IMG]

2. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

3. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

I bet it carves good! That rim set is stiff as sh*t! Sweet Bike...one day...

4. Canoeman

Canoeman Well-Known Member

Does it have a bell? ;)

5. skinny_water

No bells. At that speed they can't hear you until you run them over... trust me, lol. 2 days ago I locked it up doing 27 cause a guy decided to use the bike lane to do a Uturn. No bell will help that. People don't understand the rate that you close in on them.

6. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

No but it has a manual crank for the middle finger... ;). Soon I will mount a .50cal on the handlebars to do away with the texters and old farts in FPL safety goggles that ride 1/2 in the bike lanes (when we're lucky enough to have one)!

The closing speed comment that Skinny_Water made hits the nail on the head though.

-T

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Since a healthy man can exude about 1.5 manual horsepower this contraption resembles exercise.

8. skinny_water

is flying a fighter jet exercise? ;)

9. Trey

Trey Im deerfly's kid

lol wow. nice bike tho.

10. skinny_water

Can I get an update on how your like your S2. I need to start looking into race frame sets. Got asked about doing Ride Across Florida. Looking for something that is not a Trek, lol.

11. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Honestly this is the fastest bike I've ever ridden. I don't want to get googly-goo over a bike, because usually whatever the owner is riding seems to be the best bike in the world, but here's what I absolutely can feel with the bike:

The first ride I noticed the difference in aero over my old madone. Big difference. Bottom bracket stiffer too. But, my old madone was an '04 or '05 model, so there's been a lot of improvements over the years.

It is not the lightest bike around, which is pretty much a non-issue in most of FL because it's flat. I would not buy this bike if I lived in the mountains, the aero advantage just wouldn't pay out vs the weight. Also, I do notice that the internal cable routing is not as slippery smooth as the old-style external routing, but the aero payoff is worth the minor difference IMHO.

It is fast, slippery fast in the wind. When drafting in a paceline with the 58's on it, if you get to a certain point behind the guy in front you absolutely get sucked in. Hit the brakes and slow down kinda sucked in. I've never had a bike just disappear in the wind like that, and it takes a lot of getting used to so you're not constantly running up on the guy in front.

It is a bit twitchy in cross winds, even without the deep wheels on it. I think it's because of the aero frame, naturally. I don't think it's got anything to do with the geometry because this bike will out handle the madone very easily.

It is comfy, I have no arm or wrist issues with it, and I've even since lowered my handlebars all the way down like I used to do when I was a race geek.

Velonews compared this bike (the higher modulus version but same frame shape/mold) to a few others in last month's test. 10 watts at 30mph over the other aero bikes, the Felt included. Internal cable routing is a help of course. What I especially like was that with training/non-aero wheels it was the slowest but when you switch to aero wheels it improves dramatically. This is great because it makes you work harder when you train and get faster when you slap on the go-fast wheels.

You absolutely CAN feel a difference in the bike at speed over a no-aero frame.

I've since updated the wheels a bit, will post pics soon.

Any more question PM me and I'll be glad to help.

-T

12. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Ah Tom you're killin me, I want a new toy! I'm not a roadie, I'm a trail biker/xc rider, but that's a nice looking rig you got there, as I appreciate the other side. I was at the bike shop just 2 days ago picking out my next bike (scott 29er hardtail), but a doctor bill for my little one is delaying the purchase a bit. Do you only do road, or do you hit the dirt as well?

13. skinny_water

Never know what is going to be in the bike lanes!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long solo ride 89 miles
    [​IMG]

Tom, sorry... this is my dream bike, doesn't even have to be the SWORKS version
    2010 Tarmac Elite Team
    [​IMG]

Done for the week, 265 miles

14. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Nice! 265 is a good amount for a week, keeps you in shape and clears the mind.

And yeah, you just never know what you might find in the bike lanes. Still searching for a $1k bill... ;)

I've been up north with my folks last week and a half in Southampton, NJ (google earth it), what a dream place to ride. Nothing but active crop fields, very gentle rolling terrain and bike lanes as wide as a car. No traffic. Florida should learn something.

Specialized makes some nice stuff. All are sexy for sure and I would have bought one instead of my old madone if I could have gotten comfy on it. I loved that bike but it didn't feel right to me. I was in love with the old red/black tarmac colors and the sloping top tube.

Last month's VN had an ad with the new S-works that McLaren helped design. Damn sexy bike.

The craziest one I saw was when a guy came from up north to visit a buddy. Heard he was a (loaded) bike nut. Showed up with a Pinarello Dogma, Lightweight Obermayers ($6,500 wheelset). Saw it was Campy as well, but was too busy drooling to notice if it was Record or Super Record.

He asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin; I declined saying if something happened it was worth more than my car and wouldn't be able to afford to fix it!

Incredible to see in person though. Glad there are more bike nuts out there!

-T

15. skinny_water

lol, I was at the bike shop about 4 months ago. He had a Prince on display. I asked the shop owner what the deal was because he had never sold Pinnarello before. He said that he didn't sell Pinnarello until some loaded guy showed up at the shop with cash for two Dogma's. Pinnarello sent him a demo bike for display after that.

About 2 weeks ago I saw a guy on Longboat Key riding a bike with some 808's on it in blue jeans at 5mph. I won't lie, I thought about running him off the road.

16. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Just kills ya, don't it? Hey, if he can afford it and he's just having fun what the heck, right? Nothing wrong with a slice of humble pie, with a little icing on it.

I do hate the guys who show up all serious, fancy bike, SRM meter, skinsuit, talk a big game, and then drop at 21 though. That kinda cracks me up.

And, I've had my butt handed to me back when I was in shape by overweight looking "old" guys on cheap bikes, too. Many times ;)

17. skinny_water

even better, what if the guy in the blue jeans wasn't the owner. It was the persons hipster nephew. So he took the bike to Publix for some wheat free gluten free pasta... hitting every pothole, piece of glass, and sticks on the way. I would did a little inside.

I think I am going to do a tri bike build instead. Sister and Brother in Law just signed up for a sprint and half ironman...