Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am towing my camper I can't tow my skiff. After going the kayak route for years I wanted to find another solution so I could reach more distant fishing locations or to be able to go out when the wind was blowing or the current was ripping (i.e. The Keys). Years ago I looked at folding boats but they just did not do what I wanted. When I recently found a folding boat that met most of my wish list I decided to take the plunge. This video covers the fishability of this folding boat from assembly to stalking the flats to catching fish. In the future I plan to try this boat out in some of the no motor zones in the Everglades while using my bay boat as a mother-ship.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'd figure a way to tow the camper and skiff. I've surely seen the double tow set ups. Looks a little challenging but.......

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd figure a way to tow the camper and skiff. I've surely seen the double tow set ups. Looks a little challenging but.......
Some states do allow tandem towing, Florida does not. Funny thing is if you are from a state outside of Florida that does allow it you can tandem tow in Florida but not if you have Florida plates on your car. I was painfully reminded of this when I was pulling out of John Pennekamp State Park and a tandem rig drove by. If you have a CDL with the proper "endorsements" and are driving a commercial vehicle you would be legal in Florida for tandem towing (I don't have a CDL or commercial vehicle). On camping trips close to my home I have dumped off the camper and then go back and get the boat but that is a big waste of time and fuel. I even rigged an electric wench to pull a Gheenoe on and off the roof of my tow vehicle but found for me it was less hassle to use the folding boat. Until Florida legalizes tandem towing for "non-commercial" drivers, the folding boat fits my needs best for travel when I tow a camper and want to bring a motorized boat. I am always looking for a better solution so thanks for your reply.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,276 Posts
I've pondered this subject for many years as my wife and I were partners in a small RV dealership some years ago and have seen many ways to cut the cake. I think for me tho when I'm ready, is a small boat that I can wheel inside of a low profile toy hauler style RV (there are some out there) where everything inside the RV can fold back and out of the way and a reasonable size light weight gheenoe or small boat can be rolled in on a hand trailer of some kind. Then when you get to the camp site, simply roll out the trailer with boat on it, pull everything back out in the RV and just keep it locked up outside until it's time to pack up and go. The biggest delima tho is over-night sleeping while on the road (rest stops, Walmart parking lot, etc). So in that sense, your fold-away boat makes sense. I just wish they weren't soooo ugly! :eek: Ok, I'm not a fan of their lines. Hopefully one day soon, someone will have a better answer to that.

Now if I can only add an ATV or a golf cart into the equation as my little tow vehicle and run around cart at the camp site. :rolleyes: I've seen a folding/collapsible golf cart. Lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
Some states do allow tandem towing, Florida does not. Funny thing is if you are from a state outside of Florida that does allow it you can tandem tow in Florida but not if you have Florida plates on your car. I was painfully reminded of this when I was pulling out of John Pennekamp State Park and a tandem rig drove by. If you have a CDL with the proper "endorsements" and are driving a commercial vehicle you would be legal in Florida for tandem towing (I don't have a CDL or commercial vehicle). On camping trips close to my home I have dumped off the camper and then go back and get the boat but that is a big waste of time and fuel. I even rigged an electric wench to pull a Gheenoe on and off the roof of my tow vehicle but found for me it was less hassle to use the folding boat. Until Florida legalizes tandem towing for "non-commercial" drivers, the folding boat fits my needs best for travel when I tow a camper and want to bring a motorized boat. I am always looking for a better solution so thanks for your reply.
Bummer! Had no idea and I’m sorry for my oversight. I’d just move then:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts