Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any recommendations/tips on keeping foamed in gas tanks from corroding? i currently have a 1993 Key West Stealth that appears to have the original fuel tank as there are no signs of re glassing or cap removal on hull. i was told that life expectancy on fuel tanks is 15-20 years but im pushing 26 now...

i had read somewhere that pouring warm water with dawn down the access hatch and letting it air out helps.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
90 Posts
That doesn't sound real smart! Corrosion occurs when water is trapped against the tank by the foam. Don't add more water to the situation! Eventually you'll need to replace tank so don't let anyone pour foam around the new one. Fasten with straps to the structure or have tabs welded to the tank which can then be fastened to stringers, etc.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i def wanted to look into that before pouring a bucket of water down there.... maybe ill just stick to keeping a container of damp rid in there.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Tough to do much of anything with a foamed in tank - except watch it like a hawk...... Once it does begin to leak (or seep...) the usual routine is that you'll hardly notice it at all until you're in rough waters then it will show up big time...

As already noted, builders don't foam in tanks any more (at least not the skilled ones....).

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
If it is foamed and you are on year 26, bite the hook and get it changed out.

As said above, do not allow them to put foam around it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts