Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Baton Rouge, LA
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Weather is making progress slow.
I took the time to update the model with actual dimensions, spray rails, and the attempt to mimic CM's chine pockets.
Hydrostatics are in long tons(2240lbs per), so 6" draft displacement is 1451pounds.
Should land considerably less than that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Man she’s lookin good, how hard is it building a foam build like this? Just out of curiosity someone with general carpentry experience would they be able to build a simpler version with foam pretty easy do u think?

·
Baton Rouge, LA
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Man she’s lookin good, how hard is it building a foam build like this? Just out of curiosity someone with general carpentry experience would they be able to build a simpler version with foam pretty easy do u think?
Honestly fine woodwork is much more difficult.
None of this is beyond anyone's skill. If I ever build another boat after this one, everything will fly together.

·
Baton Rouge, LA
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Got rigging tubes run, and gel in the hatches. Didn't fair inside the hatch areas. I will fair the cockpit though. I had to stack a bunch of small pieces of cloth to get the bow u-bolt a flat surface for the backing plate to rest on. I do not want to ever have to mess with it once its in. Locktite will happen.
I don't remember if i said it anywhere, but the whole boat will be FGCI seafoam green.

Vacuumed and ready for gel.

1st coat on(no wax)

2nd coat on(with wax)

Remaining tasks of significance in order:
Glass in rod tubes
Fair cockpit
Gel cockpit
Drag boat into yard and cover with tarp
Fabricate deck
Fabricate hatches
Glue deck to hull
Flip hull
Fair outside of hull
Add Lifting strakes
Gel outside
Make it pretty
FLIP IT ONTO TRAILER AND RIG IT

·
Registered
1648 Aluminum Custom Joe Boat, 35 Evinrude
44 Posts
You sure have done a fine job. Keep up the good work. May want to swing by and admire it sometime. I live South of Denham Springs.

71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Looking good my friend!

·
Baton Rouge, LA
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Called in the boys and flipped her back over.
I got the first pass of icing spread on the boat. I'm not sure how fair I will actually make the boat past removing anything that will effect performance.
I do not want to be afraid to use it when I'm done, and I'm going to be rolling on gelcoat anyway.

·
Premium Member
325 Boatworks 17'6" "Kentucky" technical poling skiff.
25 Posts
Wow! That's a tremendous amount of work. Fantastic job! Going to feel amazing the first time you float it! Even better the first time it's taken out under power!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts