Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I got a few things accomplished this weekend, despite a bit of a lazy start on both days.

This is how I finished yesterday. Endless sanding. Took a trip to harbor freight to get a polisher and built the CM Fairmaster 9000. It eats. I've still got a bit of the epoxy fairing to grind off. Have to be careful, as the foam grinds infinitely easier than the fairing mix.

Today I was able to get the transom bonded in place and clean up a bunch of loose seams around the stern and port sides.

First I traced the outline on the transom "mold". I then removed it and used a piece of core to bring in the lines to allow the piece to fit inside the strips used on the sides. I then drilled a hole at each intersection that exactly fit the sharpie I was using to mark the core. I was able to lay this on the core to mark the dots at the corners. Then it was simply connect the dots. I just used a fresh knife blade to cut the shape out. If I did the whole thing over again, I would have the strips for the sides cut on a table saw. I'm paying for the convenience of the knife now in filling the gaps from cutting not at a consistent angle. I used screws to attach the transom foam and glued it in. I should have used screws on the entire project; I definitely "screwed" up using the nails.

Picture time!

Empty boat butt. I cut the glue tacks on the core pieces that were not fair at the transom at this point.

The traced out transom.

The transom core in place before and after it was attached and bonded.

I finished out the day by fixing the loose seams on the port side and bonding everything well at the transom.

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Spend another afternoon grinding away at the epoxy mess.The spray rail is going to be tough to sand. White dust everywhere, workspace is a mess.

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Life (and hunting) has slowed the progress a bit, but we are back in the saddle.
Ended a 3 year dry spell on Saturday; not a monster, but I'm happy. I elected to get it processed so that I could have more time for the boat. Nothing makes you realize how out of shape you are quite like dragging a deer out of the woods.

I spent most of the last two days working on grinding off the epoxy filler and continuing fairing the hull. I started filling with the vinylester, and its much easier to work with. I mixed a 3 qt batch of the filler with a drill and only catalyze what I scoop out. I also spent a decent amount of time cleaning up to appease the wife.
Ground off the almost all of the epoxy.

Cut the overhang at the transom.

Filler applied in small batches. Left to cure overnight.

·
Registered
327 Posts
@omegadef what program did you use to design this? I'm wanting to do the same thing but my local library has no books. I know I have some clips from chris morejohn designs but I dont want anyone to ever think I did something without paying for plans. I have been up in the air about building a small 14' skiff to start but have decided against that. Seams stupid to build something that ultimately in the end is not what o want. I have just decided to sell the small hp motors I have. Thanks for any help in advance.

Michael (727)637-1241

Also I think your crazy to not embrace the Craig tool. It's awesome if your gonna build anything such as cabinets or furniture.

45 Posts
Hey omegadef, great work in design and build. Impressive for your first build.
Nice little buck, will make some great sausage and burger ! Oh yea, Happy Birthday to your son ! Happy wife, happy life, brother ! keep up the great work, can't wait to see more. I am following you.
capt dave

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@omegadef what program did you use to design this? I'm wanting to do the same thing but my local library has no books. I know I have some clips from chris morejohn designs but I dont want anyone to ever think I did something without paying for plans. I have been up in the air about building a small 14' skiff to start but have decided against that. Seams stupid to build something that ultimately in the end is not what o want. I have just decided to sell the small hp motors I have. Thanks for any help in advance.

Michael (727)637-1241

Also I think your crazy to not embrace the Craig tool. It's awesome if your gonna build anything such as cabinets or furniture.
I used freeship and sketchup for the frames. Its a bit of an arduous process. I've read a few boat design books in a distant past(5+years agao), but mostly based off of dimensions of other boats.
I would recommend just building one of Chris' designs.

I need to get back to work on the boat. Been busy as hell with work.

45 Posts
I hope you will post more pics. Would love to see where you are now.
Regards
Capt Dave Jackson

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah. Its started out of thin air and has went slow. Hope he has made progress and posts some pics. I know I can design something myself as well. Was hoping to see his floating like all the others have.

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I haven't had much time at all to work on it. Especially not now with the virus stuff.
I spent about an hour today filling cracks, but there's still nothing worth taking a picture of.

I have not given up on the project, I've just been busy.

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I worked on the boat again today. I took at couple of pictures, but there isn't much to look at and you can't really see the difference. The un-catalyzed putty compound seems to thicken as it sits, which made it a bit harder to work with than it had been. More punishment for not keeping up the progress.

I ran out of MEKP, I guess it's volatile enough to escape its plastic bottle. I ordered more, as well as the mat to go along with the cloth I had ordered months ago that has been sitting in the corner of my living room, much to my wife's chagrin.

I will need to order more of the vinyl ester resin, but there is a shelf life on it, so I want to make sure I have ample time set aside before I order more. Also the shipping on it is brutal with the hazmat fees.

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I did some sanding on the fore section of one side yesterday in between cutting grass.
I was left to fend for myself for lunch. CM would probably approve.

As far as progress in the pictures, I'm not sure you can tell much of a difference, but it is starting to take shape for sure. I need to increase the radius of aft end of the spray rail and the whole chine pocket. I'm having a hell of a time getting sand paper to stay stuck to the sanding apparatus. I need to try a different spray glue. This one launches the sheets once it gets hot.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
538 Posts
I a
I did some sanding on the fore section of one side yesterday in between cutting grass.

As far as progress in the pictures, I'm not sure you can tell much of a difference, but it is starting to take shape for sure. I need to increase the radius of aft end of the spray rail and the whole chine pocket. I'm having a hell of a time getting sand paper to stay stuck to the sanding apparatus. I need to try a different spray glue. This one launches the sheets once it gets hot.
Oh, nice lunch, wish I was there.
Nothing like working on your own vision. Take care

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I sanded a bit further on the starboard side of the boat today. I started marking the spots that will need more attention with putty. My supplies should be arriving Thursday. Progress pictures below.

I developed a couple of questions that need some advice from Mr. Morejohn (or others who have done the cored boat building).

1. I ordered enough mat to do core/mat/cloth/mat/cloth, but after looking closely through the your beryllium build it seems you're doing core/mat/cloth/cloth. Should I exclude the Mat layer? Would save a couple of gallons of resin and about 25 pounds weight, if my calcs are correct.

2. There's one spot that I did a very poor job with the core. Pictures below It was early in the process, and I should have redone it from the start, but I'm more or less stuck now. I have pictures of it here. Would it be best to just fill the crack and grind the core to allow the glass to smoothly flow over the transition and then do the major fair job afterward? The alternative is a big pool of putty to fix the low spot (18"x8"ish).

And for the regular progress pics:

·
Baton Rouge, LA
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I pulled up all the blue tape. I could net get it to stick to the plywood at the flange worth a damn. I have dallied too long and the grain had raised on the plywood to the point that there was poor contact area. I had to lightly sand the flange and went back with frog tape. Its much better.

I have continued the filler work. I concentrated on getting the filler up under the sheer. I had to let this cure to allow me to put a good radius on the transition to the flange, the core was flexing too much as I applied pressure otherwise, it has stiffened up tremendously.

If the weather doesn't completely suck this week, I may be in a position to lay some glass over next weekend. Fairing the port side core is going to be a bit more arduous than the starboard side was.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts