Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
This is brilliant. Did you just tape the ends? And did you have that as a carry on or as a checked bag?
I just stuff it in my bag and packed clothes around it. Didn't see a need to tape the ends but certainly wouldn't hurt. And I had it in my checked back. Really anymore I almost always check all my gear. I have never had a problem with any of it and its just easier. In fact anymore the only time I don't check my rods and reels is if I am only going to have a carry on and no checked bags at all just to save time at the arrival airport. But if I am checking a bag and going to have to wait anyway then I just put my rods and reels in there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just stuff it in my bag and packed clothes around it. Didn't see a need to tape the ends but certainly wouldn't hurt. And I had it in my checked back. Really anymore I almost always check all my gear. I have never had a problem with any of it and its just easier. In fact anymore the only time I don't check my rods and reels is if I am only going to have a carry on and no checked bags at all just to save time at the arrival airport. But if I am checking a bag and going to have to wait anyway then I just put my rods and reels in there.
Yeah, I’m trying to avoid checking anything. Hoping to have a carry on and rod tubes/ case and hoping not to check any of it. I’m hopeful that if there’s an issue they’ll just check it at the gate for me but I’m going to arrive early just in case it becomes a thing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,815 Posts
I also keep tubes on the sides of backpack. Reels, leaders, flies, pants, shirts and wading boots inside. If they lose my luggage I am still fishing. No issue domestic or foreign

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,108 Posts
I've packed 2 piece rods all over th US and all on Delta Airlines as checked bags even the Bahamas. The new 4 piece rods are easy to pack small and carry on. Your problem is you riding Bahama Scare

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Jumping in late here - but I absolutely love the rod quivers from Vedavoo and I've carried them on both domestically and internationally a few times.

Yeah, it looks great. For those that have used it, has anyone carried it as a personal item while carrying a carry on bag? If it was my only item it would be a no brainer, but I’m carrying that in addition to my carry on duffel.
I've packed 2 piece rods all over th US and all on Delta Airlines as checked bags even the Bahamas. The new 4 piece rods are easy to pack small and carry on. Your problem is you riding Bahama Scare
Bahama Scare, huh? That’s slightly less than reassuring. Bad experience?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I travel a lot internationally and don't like to take chances with what they will allow as carry on. I have seen reels taken because of the line on them and some TSA idiots, as mentioned before, will see a rod tube as a weapon. For the most part the TSA is pretty good despite their jobs, but there is always that one guy. I take pvc 2" or 2.25" diameter cut to the exact length of my 4 pc rods and duct tape the ends. 2 rods in each tube. This will fit entirely in the check in luggage along with all my other fly gear. Luckily, fly gear is light especially if you have light wading boots like the SoftScience Terrafin.
Patagonia Travel.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
American made me check rod tubes during travel to/from Nicaragua. Also would not completely fit inside my carry on so they claimed it was an international rule. Try carrying on, worse case you’ll pay the same fee.
this is why you don’t fly American. They’re famous for harassing you for baggage. Other airlines shouldn’t care, just be smart and respectful. Limp them together with tape to a backpack/duffel or throw them all in a sims case. They’ll allow you to carry it on on most airlines

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I never had an issue flying with a rod tube. If you're planning on carrying multiple rods, I suggest putting them in a big gear back and checking it. I never check luggage ad its easier to just plan and reduce to one backpack, which is always my Simms water proof pack that had been to a dozen tropical countries now.

The only issue you'll have is with forceps and clippers. I usually bring a small fly box and never had an issue with those. I have the worst luck with TSA too... I look suspicious I guess. Tho it has been a while since ive been in that glass box with the dude and the gloves... Hate TSA.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,436 Posts
Fish Pond rod and reel case. Four or five 4pc rods in the sock strapped in. Four or five reels and spare line/leader. Carry on. Anywhere.
Carry the gear on board. You can fish with the clothes on your back and borrow toiletries

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m taking a trip to the Bahamas in a couple weeks and I’m getting the packing list together. I’m planning on bringing 3 fly rods, each being a 4 piece 9 ft rod, so standard size rod tubes. I’m really hoping not to have to check a bag because we’ll be paying the fee 2x each way (one airline to the Bahamas, one airline to the out island) which would be almost an extra $200 (which is a LOT of Kalik). I was hoping to just bring the three rod tubes on the plane as my personal item but I’m nervous they might make me check them. My other consideration was putting them in a fly rod travel case so it’s just one rod case, but I was worried that would be too big for carry-on.

TSA says they can be carry-on/personal item but they also say it’s up to the airlines. I reached out to the Bahamas Air customer service line but they weren’t exactly helpful, and just kept saying “yeah mahn, just bring da rod and we’ll figure it out.”

Love to hear what experience you guys have had with rod tubes as carry-on luggage/personal items.
I use the fish pond Jackalope tube attached to my back pack. Holds 4 rods

21 - 33 of 33 Posts