Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m taking a trip to the Bahamas in a couple weeks and I’m getting the packing list together. I’m planning on bringing 3 fly rods, each being a 4 piece 9 ft rod, so standard size rod tubes. I’m really hoping not to have to check a bag because we’ll be paying the fee 2x each way (one airline to the Bahamas, one airline to the out island) which would be almost an extra $200 (which is a LOT of Kalik). I was hoping to just bring the three rod tubes on the plane as my personal item but I’m nervous they might make me check them. My other consideration was putting them in a fly rod travel case so it’s just one rod case, but I was worried that would be too big for carry-on.

TSA says they can be carry-on/personal item but they also say it’s up to the airlines. I reached out to the Bahamas Air customer service line but they weren’t exactly helpful, and just kept saying “yeah mahn, just bring da rod and we’ll figure it out.”

Love to hear what experience you guys have had with rod tubes as carry-on luggage/personal items.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think if you make them part of a back pack as your personal item i think they will be fine. It’s a pretty common thing and depending on where you are flying from, there will probably be someone else with some rods.

·
Registered
‘07 B2
148 Posts
American made me check rod tubes during travel to/from Nicaragua. Also would not completely fit inside my carry on so they claimed it was an international rule. Try carrying on, worse case you’ll pay the same fee.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We fly to the Bahamas usually twice a year and I’ve never had any issues with my Simms double barrel rod case. They see where you’re flying to....they know. You won’t be the on,y one carrying them most of those flights. I do however keep my pliers and flies etc in my travel bag. I bought a used Orvis Carry It All fly case that I’m going to use next trip. Saw a few guys with them and they got right on. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2013 Towee Rivermaster SRO
36 Posts
Been to the Bahamas, the Keys, Belize, Fiji, and Bosnia with tubes on the side of my Simms backpack. No problems. Went over to Ireland, no problem. Coming back, I had an Irish TSA agent who made me check it. He was a real tool about it too. Actually said it could be used as a weapon. Since it was a Scott 5 weight I should’ve told him the warranty process is too big of a pain to ever use it to thump somebody.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven’t flown commercial to the Bahamas only charters through airgate so it might be different. I just strapped the tubes to the side of my Simms backpack with all my tackle and checked a bag with clothes and whatnot. Would rather have no clothes than missing a couple grand worth of rods reels and flies.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,523 Posts
I've flown domestically a fair bit with my fly rods. I either take my Simms double barrel or my Simms large bounty hunter. I can take more than two rods in the double barrel but the reels have to be in my checked bag and I don't like to check my reels. I also check my pliers, nippers and flies. The bounty hunter can carry 4 rods in their tubes or 8 in the socks and 6 to 8 reels depending on size. Both the double barrel and the bounty hunter will fit in the standard overhead bin as a carry on

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I might look into one of these products so I can pack all my rods in one rod case. I was just worried they were more likely to make me check those since they’re bigger than just a tube.

I guess what I’m hearing is it all depends on what TSA agent you get and what side of they bed they woke up on.

The TSA regs say you can carry pliers less than 7inches and you can carry “small hooks.” I guess whether my flies are considered small is up to the mighty and powerful gate agent. Great...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I fly around a lot with fly rods and I will duct tape multiple 4 piece rod tubes together into one "item" and then carry it on, or strap it to one of my bags. On a few planes they don't fit in the overhead compartment but the flight attendants have been great and put it up front in the hanging closet right by the boarding door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Allen makes a great bag that counts as a carry on. Hold 4 rods and a bunch of gear. I put 2 fly rods and 2 travel spinning rods along with reels, plastics, and flies. Jig heads and tools are in my checked bag. I never check my rods and reels along with some flies, if your checked bag gets lost at least your not empty handed. This bag goes in the hanging closet as soon as you board the plane. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fish Pond rod and reel case. Four or five 4pc rods in the sock strapped in. Four or five reels and spare line/leader. Carry on. Anywhere.
I really like those cases and if I wasn’t already carrying on my bag with everything else for my trip, I’d be picking one up. My goal would be to have the rods as my “personal item” and then have all my other stuff as my “carry on.”

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I made a case just long enough to fit in my travel/gear bag. 4" square vinyl fence post. Easily put 3 rods in their socks inside the tube then stuff my socks/tshirts type clothing in each end. Back and fort to the Seychelles easy peasy. Saves weight and no hassles.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,044 Posts
I’m taking a trip to the Bahamas in a couple weeks and I’m getting the packing list together. I’m planning on bringing 3 fly rods, each being a 4 piece 9 ft rod, so standard size rod tubes. I’m really hoping not to have to check a bag because we’ll be paying the fee 2x each way (one airline to the Bahamas, one airline to the out island) which would be almost an extra $200 (which is a LOT of Kalik). I was hoping to just bring the three rod tubes on the plane as my personal item but I’m nervous they might make me check them. My other consideration was putting them in a fly rod travel case so it’s just one rod case, but I was worried that would be too big for carry-on.

TSA says they can be carry-on/personal item but they also say it’s up to the airlines. I reached out to the Bahamas Air customer service line but they weren’t exactly helpful, and just kept saying “yeah mahn, just bring da rod and we’ll figure it out.”

Love to hear what experience you guys have had with rod tubes as carry-on luggage/personal items.
I have an extra Vedavoo quiver that you can borrow. Pretty sure you're local to JAX. It will pack 4 rocks no problem, I have fit up to 5-6 I think. Didn't have any issues flying with it last time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've got one of those big Simms bounty hunter rod tubes that's 6 inches in diameter. The built in rod pouches are all on the perimiter so I put 4 rods in their rod socks in those pouches and still have enough room to stuff my reels, in their cases down the center so everything is in one package. The tube also came with a reel pouch for one reel that sits at the end of the tube. I've never had trouble with the airlines. When boarding, as soon as I step on the plane I ask the flight attendant if I can put it in their coat closet. Every time they either say yes and show me where, or they tell me "oh that will fit in the overhead" and send me to my seat. About the only time it ends up in their coat closet is when I'm on the tiny commuter flight between Lafayette and Dallas or Houston for my connection because those have a smaller overhead. I used to travel with a 2 piece rod tube and would always put it in the flight attendant closet as well. I haven't had any issues with American, Delta or United, however I don't fly United anymore since they want to charge for a carry on bag.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an extra Vedavoo quiver that you can borrow. Pretty sure you're local to JAX. It will pack 4 rocks no problem, I have fit up to 5-6 I think. Didn't have any issues flying with it last time.
Man, I’d never seen that product before, that’s a great design! I really appreciate the offer and I’ll send you a PM about taking you up on it! Looks like it would be perfect for carrying 3 rods.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made a case just long enough to fit in my travel/gear bag. 4" square vinyl fence post. Easily put 3 rods in their socks inside the tube then stuff my socks/tshirts type clothing in each end. Back and fort to the Seychelles easy peasy. Saves weight and no hassles.
This is brilliant. Did you just tape the ends? And did you have that as a carry on or as a checked bag?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's a Simms Double Barrel on Ebay. The really nice thing about these is you can go from your room (wherever you're vacationing) directly to your guide boat...the reels stay attached to the butt section. Doesn't really sound like a big deal until you try it. Lots of great ideas on here. That Vedavoo thingy reminds me a chefs knife roll bag I use to have when I was working in a kitchen.

Simms GTS Double Rod & Reel Case - Excellent Condition | eBay

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a Simms Double Barrel on Ebay. The really nice thing about these is you can go from your room (wherever you're vacationing) directly to your guide boat...the reels stay attached to the butt section. Doesn't really sound like a big deal until you try it. Lots of great ideas on here. That Vedavoo thingy reminds me a chefs knife roll bag I use to have when I was working in a kitchen.

Simms GTS Double Rod & Reel Case - Excellent Condition | eBay
Thanks! I’m officially watching that auction. Anyone have any experience fitting three rods in a double barrel? That’s been part of my hesitation on those types of products. We’re heading off shore for a couple days and I really don’t want to have to leave the 12 wt behind.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just flew with two aluminum tubes in my water bottle holders on my backpack with no issues. The tubes can be pain though, since they have no way to easily keep them in place like an attachment loop. I am definitely going to get one of those fancy carry on fishing bags though. Just waiting on one that will fit 10' rods (trout fishing requirement).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts