Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
47 Posts
I have flown with my vice and tying materials a few times down to Belize and up to Wyoming. I leave it on top of my bag, pull it out and open it when it goes through x-ray like a laptop, and be ready to answer a few questions. Had mini scissors confiscated once, made it through with them another 3-4 times. Flys and a reel will be no problem, be ready to lose your plyers/hemos

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only issue I’ve had is actually walking on the plane, I had a backpack on with two separate rod tubes both with fly rods in it strapped to either side

the ticket person said I technically had three personal items so I had to “check” my backpack and kept both rods with me, I didn’t agree but such is life

I now just stuff two rods in one tube and carry it on with reels and flies

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay so headed to Kentucky for a birthday in Novemember, guys weekend, distillery tours. good ol' time
we camping and there is a solid pond/lake there. was going to bring my 4 piece with me, to fish on our downtime.
just carrying on bags no checking.
and i was thinking, has anyone ever had trouble with TSA carrying on on flies, reel with fly line, etc ? were they deemed dangerous or what ever.
I’ve always taken everything including flies, nippers, etc in my carry on and never had a problem. Have some friends that have lost entire fly boxes due to confiscation of the “dangerous” hooks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As former military and a retired airline pilot...
"Small lures" to me means size 4 or smaller hook.
Trebles...probably best to forget about packing them in a carry on. There are very good tactical uses for trebles of all sizes.

TSA rules are ambiguous for a reason...
Ambiguity allows for specific on-site decisions by a supervisor. That size 2/0 saltwater fly may get a pass in carry on in MIA, probably not out of BZN (Bozeman).

Want to get on the wrong TSA FAST...argue with a TSA agent, especially a supervisor. And when you get on that list, kiss TSA Pre-Check goodbye for 10 years. It takes 10 years of good behavior to get on back on a Known Traveler list after an incident.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wanted to fly from IN to our place in SW FL w/ 4 pc. fly rod in carry-on on Allegiant Airlines this past June. Allegiant would not let me carry it on unless I paid separate charge for additional carry-on item. ... Flying to and from Salt Lake City, from SW FL (not Allegiant or other small airline) I noticed passengers w/ carry-on bag & also carrying fly rod tubes. I asked (1) guy and he said "no problem" doing so. Depending which airline you are traveling, I would confirm w/ the airline first.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,691 Posts
I fly with my gear 3 or 4 times a year and haven't had any issues. I carry on my rods and reels, usually in a Simms double barrel or a Bounty Hunter, and I always put my flies and fishing tools in my checked bag. I'm usually flying with big saltwater flies so to remove any questions, they get checked. Tying vise, tools and materials are checked if I'm taking them, but normally if I need flies, I always buy from a local shop. Also a good way to pick up some local intel.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts