Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so headed to Kentucky for a birthday in Novemember, guys weekend, distillery tours. good ol' time
we camping and there is a solid pond/lake there. was going to bring my 4 piece with me, to fish on our downtime.
just carrying on bags no checking.
and i was thinking, has anyone ever had trouble with TSA carrying on on flies, reel with fly line, etc ? were they deemed dangerous or what ever.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it depends who you deal with but when I’ve flown to the Bahamas I carried on all my rods, reels, flies, leader etc, and checked a bag with my clothes. Figured they can loose that and I’ll still be able to fish. Never had any issues but know of people who’ve been hassled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I flew to Miami about a month ago with my rod in a tube strapped to my carry on backpack and my reel in the same pack. No problems or questions at all. I did leave the flies in the checked bag though

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never had a problem in the USA, travelling internationally I have run into issues and end up just checking them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've flown from Commy Central to Florida and back several times with fly tying tools, hooks, flies, vises etc.. in my back pack. Never a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve only ever put the flies in my checked bag. Was too worried about the questions/headache from getting hassled for trying to carry them on. Didn’t have any issue in a checked bag for flights to Florida, Montana, or Hawaii.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ive only travelled with flies 2/0 and smaller as carry on and have never had a problem. but im guessing there is a size where bells and whistles will go off and you risk losing flies. same with hemos. for plane carry on, i make sure my hemos are 4in and shorter.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
68 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem within the US BUT fyi - My son recently traveled to Mexico with my saltwater flies in his carry on. All the flies were confiscated from his carry on when leaving Mexico so travelers outside the US beware.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Did Wyoming trip last month on delta round trip.Fly box, rod tubes , pliers, nippers and reels with line in carry on back pack and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Most, if not all major fly fishing destinations will be OK. It's the smaller "ignorant to fly tackle" airports that you may have a problem. I've heard of out of the way TSA agents making fly fishers remove fly line and backing, confiscating everything from hooks to nippers. That said, you should be OK, but you run across that rogue every once in a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One should always keep in mind that each TSA station is different, in that they are all individuals with thier own ideas. In the past I would have three or four airports in a week, almost never failed that I would not get back without loosing something that was perfectly ok when I started.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
178 Posts
Ive had to remove both flies and pliers from carry-ons on two different international trips, but no problems with either on domestic fligjts.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I travel about every week out west (UT,CO,WY,MT,ID and WA) and have never had and issue walking on with my FlyRod, reels and fly boxes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Okay so headed to Kentucky for a birthday in Novemember, guys weekend, distillery tours. good ol' time
we camping and there is a solid pond/lake there. was going to bring my 4 piece with me, to fish on our downtime.
just carrying on bags no checking.
and i was thinking, has anyone ever had trouble with TSA carrying on on flies, reel with fly line, etc ? were they deemed dangerous or what ever.
I’ve never had a problem! I always try to wear at least one change of fishing clothes, carry my rods/reels/flies/leaders/tippet, wear my fishing glasses in the event that my check in gear gets “lost”! Nobody has ever questioned tarpon sized flies so I’m sure that you’ll be ok with troutsized flies!

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,575 Posts
I've flown with Tarpon flies on board no problem but don't take tiny fishing scissors ✂they take them

Reactions: The Fin
1 - 20 of 29 Posts