Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know what you are using to tie flies. I have been using a Griffin Patriot Vise for about 30 years. I paid $90 for it back in 1989 and it is a rotary vise and will hold just about any hook and has jaws that came with it for flies using < 22 size hooks. It is still going strong but I have never really liked where it clamps on the hook and have always liked the Renzetti style Travelers vise but not the tension band that it uses. The jaws are really good and you can bend a hook in them without it moving. Has anyone here used the Griffin Odyssey Spider vice and what do you think about it? I know it also has a tension band but it is a bit less money than a Travelers and I already have the base for the Griffin.

A

·
0 Posts
I use a peak rotary vice I picked up used on ebay. Cost $130 and came with a lower end fly tying kit and a bunch of material for tying freshwater flies. I used the piss out of it and it still works fine... Just replaced all my hand tools with nicer stuff.

Might be sacrilegious here but I don't see the value in spending a $600+ on a vice that does the same exact thing as mine. It holds a hook and spins.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I own a DynaKing Trekker, have used a Renzeetti Traveler and Peak. If i was to do it again, i'd pick the Peak in a heartbeat. I think build quality is comparable to the other 2, I like the jaws much more than either of the others, has a heavier base, and its much cheaper.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I used a Renzetti traveler for years but grew frustrated with hte fact that the jaws pivot on the front fine adjustment screw. I had to replace that screw numerous times because it would get bent when I had to really crank down on a hook, I.E. tying deer hair on a thick hook. I wanted to upgrade to collet style jaws, and would love a Dyna King Barracuda, but just can't justify the coin. I bought a Peak and have been very happy with it, especially for the money. It is not as "refined" as the Renzetti or Dyna King, but functionally it fills my needs very well. I also like that the pedistal base is huge and heavy.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,630 Posts
I like my Peak rotary. Nothing fancy, didn't break the bank, and I haven't found anything that I dislike about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a peak, I have no real complaints. But it is all I know other than a real cheap one I got from a kit. They don't look super sexy, but they get the job done.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
Another Peak Rotary user here. Happy with mine and not sure I would replace it with anything but another Peak.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the Griffin and the Renzetti. The only issue I had with the Griffin is the screw down jaws, big deal I know... lol. Only reasons I went to the Renzetti is because it has a cam lock and I found it on sale and saved a good bit of money. Only negative about the Renzetti is it has a ratcheting head. So if you rotate it by the handle it’ll only spin one way. But, you can simply spin it by the end knob if you need to spin it both ways.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have the griffin spider rotary, I bought it discounted and it does what I want, hold a hook without slipping and rotate. Honestly I wish I would have got the peak or Renzetti but this one works well enough where it doesn’t warrant replacement and was worth what I paid for it.
Coming from a non rotary vise to a rotary I don’t think I could ever go back.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
86 Posts
Another satisfied Peak customer.

I also have an older, non-rotary Regal. If I were tying nothing but bigger flies and didn't mind the extra cost, I'd have a rotary Regal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Contrary to most thinking, I find that the simplest and smallest vise that will hold the hook you want to tie on is the best choice. I am totally happy with my HMH Spartan. There is less vise to get in the way of my fingers and less movement of the hook while working.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,135 Posts
Griffin Montana mongoose, great vise and easy to use especially if you want to stay with a griffin. Tied thousands of flies with mine o er the last 7-8 years

·
I Love microskiff.com!
385 Posts
The Renzetti Saltwater Traveler (left hand version) was my first vise, and one zillion flies later, it still does the trick. I can't imagine anything I'd like it to do that it does not do - which I'm sure is the case for any quality vise. We're the ones doing all the work - the vise just sits there (and spins, occasionally.)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’ve got two, a Renzetti Traveler and a HMH Spartan. I like the Renzetti better simply because it’s easier and quicker for me to get the hook secure in the Renzetti and the hook stays secure. Nothing really wrong with the HMH, it just takes a little more fiddling with to get the hook set. The Renzetti is a pedestal base and I like that better than the C-clamp Spartan. Securing the hook effortlessly and quickly is the chief thing I want a vise to do.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the Griffin and the Renzetti. The only issue I had with the Griffin is the screw down jaws, big deal I know... lol. Only reasons I went to the Renzetti is because it has a cam lock and I found it on sale and saved a good bit of money. Only negative about the Renzetti is it has a ratcheting head. So if you rotate it by the handle it’ll only spin one way. But, you can simply spin it by the end knob if you need to spin it both ways.
I believe you can adjust it so that it’s non-ratcheting.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts