Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to start making my own flies after constantly being forced to wait for my orders to come in suspending my fishing. What vices do y’all use or recommend for saltwater. Price is not an issue just wish to be able to hold a wide variety of hooks anywhere from #4 and #6 hooks for bones and if possible up to 6/0 for marlin but if it’s impossible to have a vice for both I want a vice that can bare minimum tie flies from bonefish to migratory tarpon without hook slipping. Pedestal and clamp don’t really matter to me I will take either. Thanks in advance for the help

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,297 Posts
Yes, it is a vice. Renzetti Traveler.

Reactions: Cory Michner

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’m looking to start making my own flies after constantly being forced to wait for my orders to come in suspending my fishing. What vices do y’all use or recommend for saltwater. Price is not an issue just wish to be able to hold a wide variety of hooks anywhere from #4 and #6 hooks for bones and if possible up to 6/0 for marlin but if it’s impossible to have a vice for both I want a vice that can bare minimum tie flies from bonefish to migratory tarpon without hook slipping. Pedestal and clamp don’t really matter to me I will take either. Thanks in advance for the help
I use a Nor Vice. Great rotary ability and can hold a wide range of hook sizes when using the appropriate jaws. I also use the tube fly setup when tying Cuda flies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Peak, It may not be shiny a showpiece like a Renzetti or Nor but as a utilitarian tool, it's a well-made vise. If money is no issue buy two one for super large flies and the other for the average hooks

Reactions: redchaser

·
Registered
118 Posts
For vises, any of the main brands will do, just make sure you get a rotary head vise if you're going to be tying saltwater flies. I went from a Regal Medallion to a Regal revolution a while back and have no idea what took me so long to switch. On your short list for vises should be the renzetti traveler or the regal revolution.

One must have if you plan on getting into the tying game is an auto bobbin, it'll make your life dramatically easier. I use the nor vise auto bobbin, and it's the best upgrade I've ever done at my bench.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For vises, any of the main brands will do, just make sure you get a rotary head vise if you're going to be tying saltwater flies. I went from a Regal Medallion to a Regal revolution a while back and have no idea what took me so long to switch. On your short list for vises should be the renzetti traveler or the regal revolution.

One must have if you plan on getting into the tying game is an auto bobbin, it'll make your life dramatically easier. I use the nor vise auto bobbin, and it's the best upgrade I've ever done at my bench.
X2 on the auto bobbins from Nor Vice! Just remember to tie off the thread after cutting or the thread will rapidly retreat into itself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
X2 on the auto bobbins from Nor Vice! Just remember to tie off the thread after cutting or the thread will rapidly retreat into itself.
There's actually a company on ebay that makes a custom little thread trap for the nor vise auto bobbin. They only cost a couple bucks, but are made in the UK so shipping takes a month or two. You glue them onto the bobbin and its a total game changer, if I remember later I'll post a picture of it

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I might suggest the old reliable Thompson A vise or DanVise until you decide if tying is for you. Upgrade once your sure you enjoy it. Gives you time to consider all the options out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tied professionally for a number of years on a regal. I now use a Dynaking saltwater special. Both are great. Most important thing to decide is if you want to tie true rotary or standard. That will influence your vice choice. I tie standard- just a preference. I'd also look at HMH for a standard style.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not quite sure the difference, I won’t use the rotary feature for tying just want to be able to spin the fly around to see it better
I tied professionally for a number of years on a regal. I now use a Dynaking saltwater special. Both are great. Most important thing to decide is if you want to tie true rotary or standard. That will influence your vice choice. I tie standard- just a preference. I'd also look at HMH for a standard style.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My bobbin is old and cheap and not very good. I’d actually like to hear a recommendation for one as well
I have probably every major bobbin you could get at my desk and I use the Nor Vise auto bobbin 99% of the time. $65 is a lot for a bobbin (100 for the kit)...until you use one for the first time

1 - 20 of 43 Posts